My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Outstanding October

What a busy month it has been.


So busy, I took a snooze in my favorite chair in my new sewcial lounge. It is just the perfect place for me to hang out and sew...and sleep.


We love our new quilt shop so much. Everything has been planned perfectly for the tasks that we do. Like this ironing counter. Today I am pressing fat quarters.  Do you know what that is? It is a small piece of fabric that quilters use. We sell a ton of them.


We are already getting visitors in our new shop. This is Karen. She is from Pennsylvania and she has a son named Micah. I love reading about him on their blog The Rocking Pony. Micah loves Woody. Me too.


So my mom showed me a picture today of my little friend Katie. Her mom took her to see Disney on Ice and she was really scared. So my mom thought that maybe next time we could go with her. Well I took that to mean I needed to find tickets today. And so I went up to my computer and found them. The only problem is Katie lives near Nashville. I guess that means we are not going today.


Well that is my que that I better get back to work. We are going to be having our grand opening really soon, so I had to stamp some cards. We are giving away a free yard of fabric to the first 50 customers.


Ahh look at us...me and my mom.  Karen took this pic. Thank you.


Yikes!! A fire truck stopped in front of our new store. I hope there isn't a fire. Phew. False alarm at the restaurant two doors down.


Well what do you think? Do you think I look like a Matryoshka doll? That's what I told my mom I was.  She liked that. 



Back to work bright and early. We are getting a lot of new things in and I have to put price labels on them. 



I am really good at this job. My dad calls me the label queen.


It is my Grandma Hillick's 84th birthday, so we went out to dinner at Austin's Steakhouse.


Then my Grandma wanted to see my little brother play soccer. So we went.


But it was so cold I had to bury my head in my dad's coat.



Look at what I found. I made this flowerpot for my mom for mother's day. It was in the garage with this little creature on it. My mom said one day it would turn into a moth.


So I let it go into the grass.


People are a little confused about our new location. So I am showing them it is right across the street from Heinen's on South Green.


And we are in the Cedar Green Shopping Plaza. Can you see me? We do not have our new sign yet. So it still reads "Just Frames & Art.



Some customers are finding us. Like this customer from Indiana. She wanted me to autograph my picture in the magazine we are in.


She said she and a friend have been following our story because her friend had a trach and is very self conscious about her scar.  They wanted to see mine. 


Hey, who turned out the lights? Umm...Mom? I think you left something on that you should have turned off.



Time to go home. It has been a long day.


Look at this. It is me and my mom. Some guy was getting out of his car and asked if we would like him to take our picture in front of our store.  It turned out my mom knew his good friend. So then we were talking for a long time.


But then we headed over to the grocery store. I really like that it is right across the street.


OMG!!! Look at these baby bananas. They are so cute.


I am so important I am getting phone calls in the store. LOL!! Not really. I am talking to my little brother to see if he is working. He works in this store, but today he is off.


Ahhh look at me and my mom taking a selfie. We were having so much fun.


On the way out I was talking to some people. They saw my picture in the newspaper. 


Meet Sister Ronquillo from the Philippines and Sister Stone from St. George, Utah.  They are Mormon Missionaries and they came to see us in the store. I was telling them all about our pillowcase project.


They are so nice. Sister Stone has a sister with Down syndrome. Hi Mary if you are reading this.


Good picture mom. My arms were flying so fast because the Cleveland Browns won. Did you read that. The CLEVELAND BROWNS WON!!!!


Ahh...this is really special. My baby brother is 18 today!!!!!! Happy Birthday Matt. I love you!!!!


More customers coming in to see me.  I love talking with them. They are like our friends. They know all about me.


And now Moda Mark is here. He is a salesman from our largest fabric supplier. He always brings we treats. I like that.


Shhh...don't tell my mom. We got really busy downstairs so I snuck up to my favorite chair to watch a video on my ipad.


But then I knew she was looking for me so I came back downstairs.


Back to work with some more labeling.


And now I am arranging them into a basket to put into a display.


I think I am going to put them here on this table.


Now I have new fabric to cut open.  


It comes in with plastic wrapped around it. I have to pull it off before it goes out on display. 



This is going to be fun. My dad just dropped me off at the store because he is going out.


My mom and me are going to have a pizza party because it is opening night for the Cavs.  Do you see me?


Do you see me now?  LeBron is back and I am so excited!!


Here I am!!! 

It's Halloween...
"Sarah, Where are you?"
"Up here Mom."
LOL!! I hear her going up the stairs.
Then she comes back down.
"Where Sarah?"
"Up here mom."
"Sarah I don't see you."
"In the window."
"The window!?!"
"Yes Mom."
"What are you doing in the window?"


"Holding the pumpkin quilt."


"Sarah, you are like a live window mannequin." Great that means I can't move my body. Only my eyes. 

It was nice and warm up in this window because the sun was shinning. So do you know what I did...


I fell asleep in the front window of our quilt shop!!! It was like a trick. Happy Halloween!!!!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

You had a fun October! Looks like everything is settling into place at the store - Congratulations on the new space!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sabrina Steyling said...

Happy Birthday to your grandma and your brother! And I love that pink flowery fabric you show in the one photo, Sarah, it's really pretty. You've been really busy! But I can see that you love what you do, and someone told me recently that "if you love what you do, it isn't work." I'm sure you would agree with that statement, right?

I hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving!