My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

"Not Even the Sky is the Limit"

Such a great title for a new book that has just been released by Halo Publishing.  The author, Denise Zarrella, had an idea shortly after her daughter was born. She wanted to create a picture book showcasing the many talents of kids and adults with Down syndrome.

Today Denise had a party at the Folger Home in Avon Lake for everyone in the book.


That's were I met Toby. He has Down syndrome just like me. And guess what?  He jumps out of planes!! Can you believe it?  That sounds a little bit scary to me.  That's him with Mike Butela from Canton Air Sports on the cover of the book. Toby is really nice. I met a lot of new friends at this party. But first let me take you back to how this started.

It was my 23rd birthday and my mom told me someone was coming to take my picture. 


Meet photographer David Uschold and news anchor Denise Zarrella.  


Denise and her husband Tony have a little girl with Down syndrome. Her name is Gianna. She is sooooo cute! I got to see some pictures of her on Denise's phone.


Then it was time to get busy.  David asked me if I could sew? Well, "Yes, I can," I told him.


I started sewing pillowcases because we were going to be going down to the Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital to deliver a bunch for my birthday.  The little patients love getting them.

When they were all done they told me one day my picture might be in a book. And then I forgot all about it...

...until August 19, 2013. One year and one week after my birthday my mom told me there was a surprise waiting for me at my sewing machine... 



I opened the package and it was a book. I started turning the pages and then I spotted my picture. I just sat there staring at it and smiling.


This is so cool!!  It has my name in big purple letters. You know my mom really likes that because purple is her favorite color. I was so excited!!

Then my mom told me there was going to be a party and I was going to get to meet everyone in the book. We asked Katrina and Kelsey if they could work at our quilt shop so we could have the day off.  I could not wait to go.


As soon as we walked in, I met Wendy.


Wendy paints.


Sidney sings. 



Here's Toby signing my book. 


Then I walked over to get some more autographs.


This is Andrew on the right. He plays tennis. 


John golfs. 



Then I found Stephanie. She shoots hoops.  



Here I am with Alex. He goes to the same high school I did. He loves to act in plays.


There are so many cute kids in this book. I met the twins too. Casey and Connor ride their big wheels together. They are so little they don't do autographs yet. 



This is my new friend Deja. She loves to ride her bike.


Then it was time for Denise to give a little speech. She thanked us all for coming and for letting her use our photos. But really we should be thanking her for having this great idea.  



I had to give her a hug.  She is so nice.


Then it was time for cake. Look how cute this cake was.  It had clouds of icing. 



It was almost time to go, but first a pic with some of my friends. 


Before we go though, Toby and I want to tell you to hop on over to Amazon and order your book.  Everyone will love it. It is a really good one to read to your little kids.


Not Even the Sky is the Limit!!  Hey no way, I am not skydiving with you Toby.  Haaa, I think he likes me.  If you want to meet Toby, he will be in Hartville, Ohio on Thursday, September, 19th. You will love him! 


15 comments:

DandG said...

Just ordered it -- can't wait to get it!

Rochelle said...

That is so cool! You guys are superstars! Thanks for sharing this book with us.

Colleen said...

Wendy and I loved meeting you and your Mom, Sarah!!!! Great blog!

Colleen

The Idaho Neumanns said...

ordering for my daughter right now so she can read it to her kindergarten class! Thanks for sharing!

Sabrina said...

This is really awesome, Sarah! I will definitely have to buy the book. What a great opportunity for you to be in the book, and to make so many new friends! Toby is cool, and brave, too, because I'm like you, I would not want to go jumping out of planes! I'm afraid of heights and won't even go all the way up a ladder!

Leah said...

How awesome, Sarah! I think we'll need to get that book too. Thn I can show my little Cora your picture.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Dianna said...

Thanks Sarah for posting the information about the Hartville Book Signing, we are so excited to host. We hope that you can come and visit with us that day!

DandG said...

I just got my copy -- it is gorgeous! I love how it starts with babies and goes right up to adults. Maybe next time we are in Ohio you can autograph your page for us?

Anonymous said...

Sarah, if you could be cured, would you?

My name is Sarah said...

Yes,I would love to be cured of these darn allergies I have. My eyes are burning again today. So are my dads.

StarSpry said...

Sounds like such a fun book party! It's so cool that you're in the book :)

Angel The Alien said...

What an awesome idea for a book! Maybe I will order it to keep for when I become a teacher eventually.
Anyway... I nominated you for an award. I don't know if you like that kind of thing. If you don't want to participate, no worries... you don't have to tell me or apologize or anything like that... it is just for fun! But if you want to play along, you can pick up the award here: http://diaryofanalien1.blogspot.com/2013/09/my-first-award.html

Anonymous said...

Sarah, where are you? We miss you!!!!

Downs Side Up said...

Congratulations on being in the book and on making such beautiful pillowcases. I am glad to have found your blog. My daughter has DS. Much love Hayley x
www.downssideup.com