My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Down Right Charming

It is official.  Our shop is going to be in a magazine.  It is kind of a big deal. There are only ten shops selected and they have lots of pictures and a story.    We had a camera crew in our store for two days back in January, but we had to keep it a secret. That was really hard.

Then on Friday, they made an announcement at the Quilt Market in Portland, Oregon.  We were going to go, but then I was having a little bit of trouble breathing last week so my mom decided it would not be a good idea to travel. I think TJ was a little nervous about it too because it is so close to his wedding.

So instead my dad took our picture in the front of the store just minutes after the announcement...

 
Later that night after we did some sewing, something very interesting happened.  My mom went in the kitchen to turn off the light and she noticed a piece of fabric was on top of Kristen's frame...
 
 
That's the fabric that I made her pillowcase in. There was a boy in the store earlier with his mom. He must have done that.  It made my mom and me stop though to say thank you to Kristen.  She made our store happen. I know she is watching over us and is making good things happen.  We love you Kristen!!!
 
and now for the biggest news...
 
 
I am just about ready to open my very own business.  I am going to be selling my quilts on Etsy. I make all of my quilt using charm packs. Plus I have Down syndrome.  So we named it Down Right Charming.  I LOVE this name.  How about you? This is my business card.
 
 
and here is the back.  I am going to also go out in the community and do some craft shows. I used to love doing that with CEVEC when we made jewelry.
 
Would you like to see some of my quilts?


 
Each one has a matching pillowcase too. It will be an option for the buyer.
 
 
 
They are not all for girls. We have some for boys too.
 

 
OK. I have to get back to sewing.  I will let you know as soon as we we go live on Etsy.  My shop name will be Downrightcharming

18 comments:

Kristen's mom said...

Sarah! You are down right charming!
Thank you for always remembering Kristen.
I was so excited to hear that you are going to
Be featured in another magazine.
You are truly the BEST!

Leah said...

So amazing! Congratulations, Sarah. What an accomplishment. And I love the name, too!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! I hope someday to have my daughter do something similar. She is only four, but already interested in picking out fabrics and watching the sewing machine.

Rochelle said...

Congratulations! Love the name of your business. You girls are amazing. Polly sent me between Heaven and Texas and I have been reading it. Sounds like you had some help in that too.

Becca said...

That is so, so exciting!!! Congratulations, Sarah!! Those quilts are gorgeous, and I love your card!

Cindy said...

Sarah, I LOVE that name! You are so a-mazing!! Congratulations on opening your own business!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment and Sarah you are a great role model for all young ladies!

Emily said...

Sarah those quilts are beautiful! I love them and the name the your shop! Congrats!

my family said...

wow sarah! congratulation how exciting.
Love the name and of course your beautiful quilts!!!

Jeana said...

So exciting! We just love you and all you are doing to make this world a better place. Can't wait to see your store!

Shelly said...

Congratulations for your new company venture and the Quilt Sampler showcase spread!

Sara P. said...

Sarah, Your quilts are beautiful! Looking forward to having a chance to buy them and browse through your etsy shop!
Sara P.

Kim said...

Fabulous Sarah!!! I'm so proud of you. You are such a great example for my Katie girl!

Pete said...

Sarah!

Way to go!

Shine on!

Pete and Kate

P.S. Watch the door for a big box of fun!

Crystal Rhew Staley said...

Awesome! Looking forward to checking out your shop!

Lisa said...

Sarah, all of my kids have a quilt that was made by someone special. Now I am pregnant with another baby and I was thinking the other day, "Who is going to make this baby's special quilt?" And now I know - it's you! As soon as we know if it's a boy or a girl, I'll be over at your etsy shop to pick one out!

Jenny Isom said...

Hi sarah.
I just went on etsy and bought one of your quilts. I.am so excited to get it in the mail. It was green and pink. I think it even came with a pillow case. I love it! We are adopting a little girl from the ukraine who also has Down syndrome and we will bring her home in this blanket. Thank you so much. You are such an amazing example to me and my family. I wish i could give you a giant bear hug!
Jenny

Kathleen w said...

Sarah,

I have been trying to find your Etsy store so I could feature it on my blog. Would you please send me the link?

Kathleen