My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Monday, Monday

Monday this week was very busy.

 
Our very first stop was here.  This is the Seidman Cancer Center at University Hospital.

 
This is Marge Gallo.  She is the director of Volunteer Services.  She was waiting for us at the door.

 
She had a cart with her because 225 pillowcases weigh a lot.  She pulled and I pushed them in the door.

 
We are delivering these for all the patients who have to stay in the hospital over the holidays. Our customers helped us make them. While we were walking, I told her all about Kristen. Then I showed her the card that is inside each pillowcase...
 
 
She really liked them alot. She thinks the patients will too. I was trying to decide whether I should put something on the card about having Down syndrome, but then I decided not to.  What do you think? We are all out of cards so we have to order some more.

 
Look who is here. I almost did not recognize her in her white coat. It is Katrina.  She works in the quilt shop with us.  She is a nurse coordinator in the bone marrow transplant unit in this building.   

 
Then we headed to Legacy Village. I had to come back to the bridal shop to order the fabric for my jacket.

 
Do you see what is over my head?  That is where we are going next.

 
I am at the Cheesecake Factory.  Do you think I am alone?

 
Surprise! It is the office holiday party.  Everyone from the office is here.  Debbie, Cathy, Kim, Jenny, Sue, TJ, Sari & me. Oh my dad is here too because he is the boss.

 
I gave everyone a gift. It is the 25th Anniversary edition of A Very Special Christmas. The sales support the Special Olympics. I like that.

 
Yea, my food came. I got chicken fingers.  These are so tiny and cute.
 
 
"Sari, be careful, " I said. The ketchup would not come out.

 
It's time to go back to the office so Sari can catch her bus.  And I have music therapy.

 
When my mom did not get on the freeway after music, I knew we were going somewhere different.
 
 
We are at the Historic Kirtland Visitors' Center.  It is run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  My mom told me this is part of the big Temple we went to in Salt Lake City.
 
 
As soon as we got inside, there were missionaries. I recognized Sister Dennison from when she came into the store to buy some fabric.  The other two I did not know.  So I told them all about Kristen.

 
We came here today because there is a big display of Christmas Nativity sets. In this little red school house are the International ones.

 
 
There are a lot of them. Like more than one hundred different ones.  This is my favorite.  It was made in Turks and Caicos.  When my mom told me that I thought she said turds and cakes. I said, "What???"  She told me it was the name of a country. Then we laughed.

 
I met two new missionaries in this building too. They are all so nice.

 
I like this one too.  It is from Sri Lanka. I like the sets that are bright colors.
 
 
Here is a map of the world. I think my mom really enjoyed being here.  She was reading all the history on the plaques.

 
When we came out it was very dark out. Look how pretty this looks. I think it would look nice with some snow.

 
On the way home my mom asked me if I would like to go to Macy's to get a new outfit for music share day. I said, "No thank you. My feet hurt." She said, "Are you sure?" And then I had an idea. As soon as she got off the freeway, I asked her to pull into Kohl's because they have wheelchairs by the front door. Pretty sneaky of me!
 

When I got home my dad was waiting for me.  He told me he was so proud of me. See I'm still a Daddy's Girl!!!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

What a wonderful and busy post. I think the cards with the pillowcases are perfect as they are - and I be the people who receive them treasure them too.

Emily said...

Great week!

Merry Christmas, Sarah! I love that you are still a Daddy's girl. :D

Jess said...

Hi! I just came across your blog from someone else's blog roll and am now your newest follower! :)

Cindy said...

You DID have a busy time! I like the cards just the way they are. You are the best Daddy's Girl!!