My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Stranded in Houston

We thought we were going home. But then Hurricane Sandy was about to make landfall on the eastcoast. So my mom decided we should stay in Houston for a few extra days.

 
It was such a beautiful day in Texas.  It was warm and sunny.

 
So we started to go exploring.  This is the park we found on our way to the convention center.

 
There were birds flying over us. I was afraid they were going to hit me so I had to keep my eye on them. So we kept walking.

 
While we were walking I spotted a big sign for Chik-fil-A on the side of a building.  So we went inside. It was like an indoor mall.

 
Then I spotted chocolate chip cookies!!

 
We did not have any plans for the night because we thought we would be flying home.  So we went to a really nice bar.  They wanted to put an X on my hand to let the bartender know I could not drink.  But my mom said, "Hey, wait a minute. She's legal." They had to see my ID.  The guy did not believe I was 23.  Haaa but I am. Then they asked me what I wanted to drink. I said, "Milk please." 

 
Later we went back to the hotel.  We have to leave this room in the morning because they need it for some other people.
 
 
Hmmm...I like this room too. It only has one bed so my mom and me are going to share it for one night.
 
 
Look how cool this is. We can see the pool from our new room.  We did not bring our bathing suits though.
 
 
 
I decided I better call my dad to let him know we are in a new room and that we are staying another night.  He asked me what we are going to do...

 
I told him we have a map and we are going to go exploring downtown Houston.

 
First, we went to the Sam Houston Park. We ate our lunch there.
 
 
Then I decided I wanted to get closer to the waterfalls.  I had to be careful because it was a little slippery.

 
Then we started to walk around and see all the houses.  This is a historical place.  My mom really liked this house. She loved the porch.

 
This house is really old.

 
It is so old I do not think they even have lights in there.

 
I am really having a good time.  The weather is perfect!!

 
Oh look at this house. It is yellow. I love it!!

 
I asked my mom to take my picture next to this pillar. I see them do that in the movies. 

 
I asked my mom to read me these plaques. It told all about the house we were looking at.
 
 
It started to get a little hot. So I sat down for a while on this bench.

 
Wow. Look at this tree. It is so big the branches are on the ground.

 
I discovered it is Jane Ellen's Tree. So I asked my mom why I do not have one...a Sarah Ellen's Tree.  She told me we could plant one next spring.

 
This church is so cute.
 
 
Look it says, "John."  It must be my dad's church.

 
Haaa, this dog does not scare me. He is not even real.  We are done at the park.  Then we started walking all over downtown. 

 
We came to this. It is the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. We walked over to see if anything was playing tonight, but there wasn't.  So we decided to head back to the hotel to have a free dinner.  They were having Italian night. It was good.


After dinner my mom was watching the tv to learn more about the storm. It was getting really bad in New York City.  She said it was a good thing we stayed here because they even closed down the Cleveland airport for the night.

 
So I decided to check some blogs to see what I have been missing.  Then I had a really good idea. I said, "Mom, I want to go to the aquarium."  She said, "Oh Sarah, it is already 7:30. It closes at 9:00."  I said, "I don't care. I want to go."  So we caught a cab and he drove us over.
 
 
Wow, this is so nice. It is huge.

 
We decided to ride the train.  Do you see anybody here?  Nope it was just us. It was like we had a private showing.
 
 
After the train ride we went inside to see the fish.

 
Look out!! That crocodile is about to bite me.  No not really, this is a backdrop to make it look like that.  I am sitting in a boat though.  Then we started to walk around. There were some really neat things to see. Until we saw it.  The BIGGEST snake you ever wanted to see. I FREAKED out. But then some guy rescued us and took us out a door that lead to this room.

 
I like this much better. These stingray are very calm.  The lady said I could touch one but I said, "No thank you."
 
 
How do you like my new outfit?

 
Yep, it is me in here.  I am a deep sea diver.  No not really. It is just pretend.

 
On the way out we saw this white striped tiger. I think it was already his bedtime because he was sleeping.  So I said we should go into the gift shop.  My mom said that was a good idea.  As soon as we got in there we saw another mom and her son. He is eight years old. You will never believe this but he also has Down syndrome.  And a trach. And a feeding tube.  We talked to them for a really long time. I showed them my trach scar.  The mom could not believe I had it for seven years and still was able to get it closed. She said I am her new inspiration. We yold her about Bella too who we met this week. We were talking so much we forgot to get pictures. "Hi Sebastian," if you are reading this.
 

 
 
 
The next morning my mom went downstairs and brought we up breakfast.  We decided to sleep in for a while. Our plane was not leaving until the afternoon.

 
Wowzers!! Look at this. A big black Suburban is going to take us to the airport.  The guy at the desk of the Residence Inn arranged it for us. 

 
This was our driver. His name is Bemba Khan and his phone number is 281-217-8399.  If you are in the Houston area call him if you need Premiere Town Car Service.

 
The line is pretty long today.  Lots of people are trying to get back home because they have been stranded in Houston too.

 
Look at this. My mom has figured out how we can travel together without much help.  She hooks the two big suitcases to my chair and then pulls the other two small ones behind her with one hand while she pushes me with the other. It works great!

 
It is time for me to load into the plane. They take me down backwards so I do not fall out.

 
Look at this. We get to go on first. That is pretty nice because then we get to relax.

 
We are moving!!

 
And that means it is just about time for me to take a nap.  See I am yawning already. Goodnight.

 
We are finally at our car. Yikes it is cold in Ohio. I think we should have stayed in Texas!  The end.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

What a fun adventure! I think it was good you stayed in Texas because the storm was really nasty in parts of the east coast - my family here in NJ was without power for almost four days, and some of my friends are still without power over a week later! It's a mess.

I love the photo of you sitting by that big tree with its branches touching the ground. I had my picture taken by a tree just like that last month, except it was in Central Park in New York City. :)

Cindy said...

That was quite an adventure! Your mom was so nice to take you to the Aquarium that late at night. You got to see some cool things. I'm glad you finally made it back home.