My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Being Sewcial in My Lounge

Today was the day.  The very first time we were having a big event in my lounge.


This is Jennifer Keltner.  She is the Executive Editor of American Patchwork & Quilting. It is the number one magazine in the world of quilting. It is a Better Homes & Gardens publication.  We were pretty excited when we got the call that she wanted to come to our store.

 
Look at this.  These are all precut fabrics to make pillowcases.  It just so happened that Moda decided to send us the new Kate Spain fabric. Maybe they know how much I love her.  This fabric is from her new line called Cuzco. It is not even out yet.  

 
We have a lot of work to do.  It is a lucky thing that so many people came to help us.  We have the very best customers.

 
It is time for a drawing.  I got to do the picking.  Our friend Sonia held the basket for me.  She is helping today because she really understands what we are doing to help keep Kristen's Light shinning bright.  She sadly lost her son Joe to AML leukemia too. He was in college at the time. They created an award in his name at Miami of Ohio.


Jennifer is helping me read the name.

 
It looks like we have a happy winner.

 
Look who is here.  It is Stacy's grandma.  She loves to see me I think.

 
She wants a picture of the two of us.  I am going to be seeing her at the wedding.  You know, Stacy's wedding.  Her granddaughter. I am a bridesmaid.  I told every one about it. Even the color of my dress. 

 
This is Kathryn. I am meeting her for the first time.  She is very nice. 

 
Oh my goodness. Jennifer is telling me about when she goes around the country to speak she always wraps up her speech by telling the audience about Kristen and me because she loves our story. I think that makes us famous. 

 
Bam!! I got to ring the bell.  We do that for each time we finish a pillow case.  So far we have 39. 

 
We are up to 89 now.  So it is time for another drawing.  This is Beth. She works for American Patchwork and Quilting too. 

 
And look at this. Another happy winner.  They received these really nice bags filled with magazines and stitchy stuff. 
 
 
OMG!! It is Mrs. Henschel.  She was my vocational teacher my last two years at CEVEC.

 
Look at this Mrs. Henschel.  I am taking these pins out. I know how to make pillowcases now.
 
 
Time to turn it inside out.  Jennifer told me I was a pro at this.

 
Taadaa!! It works like magic.  Mrs. Henschel told me she is so proud of me.  Then she told me I should come to the dinner dance. I told her, "No way."  Now I have to get really busy sewing. 
 
 
It is all over now.  Look at this.  We made 219 pillowcases today. All in loving memory of my friend Kristen.  I am so happy.  Thank you everyone who came to help us.

9 comments:

Sabrina said...

219 pillowcases - that's AWESOME! What a beautiful way to keep Kristin's light shining. <3

Cammie Heflin said...

Love it Sarah!!! You and your mom are doing a great job with your business and especially keeping Kristen's memory alive! We love you!

Nan said...

Hooray! What a great day and what a great way to honour, remember, and share K's story. so many little miracles make a beautiful world. Your story keeps growing. And I love following it!!!

The Munck Family said...

WOW, that wonderful!!! looks like everyone has a great time too! Way to go!
Blessings~
Laura

Cindy said...

That's a lot of pillow cases! Great job!! Looks like your first event in your Sewcial Lounge was a huge success!

Simply, Sarah said...

Sarah, I LOVE this!

It looks like everyone had fun being sewcial, and what a wonderful way to honor Kristin.

Our son has leukemia and Down syndrome. He is in remission, but still has treatment for another 7 months.

I love seeing your great example of how everything is possible for Anthony's future. Thank you for sharing!

D said...

Great job, Sarah! I love reading your blog and seeing what you are up to each week. You have a great sense of humor and I especially laugh when you get mad at McDonald's for not having your favorite cookies. I do the same thing when the shake machine is broken at my McDonald's!

Have a wonderful day and keep up the good work for Kristin.

Bethany P. said...

Sarah, we had such a wonderful time sewing with you on Saturday. Thank you so much for welcoming us into your Sewcial lounge!

Beth - American Patchwork & Quilting

kendallseo said...

It looks like everyone had fun being sewcial, and what a amazing way to respect Kristin.
Miami Ram