My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

One, Two, Three...Jump

Ten Years ago Today...by Joyce

Bright and early on August 9th of 2002,  I walked into Sarah's room to wish my thirteen year old a happy birthday.  A teenager.  It did not seem possible that our girl was becoming a teenager.  Sarah had been very sick the entire year leading up to this day.  Truthfully, her first thirteen years on this earth were filled with ambulance rides, hospital stays and never ending doctors visits. There were evenings that none of us, including the medical personnel at the world renowned Cleveland Clinic, thought she would survive.  It was only by our strong faith in God, a spirituality that had deepened over the years as we witnessed miracle after miracle, that allowed us to continue on and celebrate one more year.


And celebrate we did.  First, we headed down to the Cleveland Art Museum. 


The reflecting pond seemed a perfect place to recognize the significance of the day.  I doubt that little Matt had any idea why this day had such meaning to us.  I know TJ did though.  He had lived through every single moment of the roller coaster ride we had been on.  I worried that his scars were deep. Yet, I also recognized that he was such a support system for Sarah.  He was always by her side, encouraging her in his own way.  He had taken to music with a vengeance.  I often thought it was a great outlet for him.  He was not one to openly share his feelings, yet when he would get up on the stage with his percussion instruments, he performed well.  It was his time.


I've always marveled at Sarah's ability to forge on with a smile on her face.  Her personality is full of charm, sweetness and comedy.  She is a funny girl. Don't let that fancy blue dress and high heeled shoes fool you. She would take any opportunity to make us laugh...



I can just hear her shouting out, "One, two, three...here I go..."  I would of course yell, "Sarah, No. Don't jump." And then she would laugh and laugh.  And so would we.


By the time Sarah's thirteenth birthday rolled around, I realized we were not in control.  I had absolutely no idea what our future looked like, but I knew I was not walking alone.  We had a higher power on our side.  A plan with a purpose.  As I look back, I recognize there were lessons to be learned.  Some we passed with flying colors, others maybe not so much.  One thing is for certain, I am eternally grateful that I was given the gift of that smile.  The gift of one immensely precious girl.

17 comments:

Zoey's mom, Heather said...

Such an incredible gift Joyce. To us all. To those of us still 'new' on the journey, we look at you and your family and we can only hope to do it with as much grace and beauty as you have all done it. A journey guided by faith and hope and the magic of that extra chromosome.

Happy Birthday sweet Sarah! Love and birthday kisses from Miss Zoey!

Kristin said...

Happy birthday Sarah!!!!

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh, I loved this!! Sarah you are so amazingly beautiful and you have been blessed with a beautiful family!

Happy Birthday Sarah!

AZ Chapman said...

Happy b day sarah

Team Lando said...

Happy birthday, Sarah!

Cammie Heflin said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! We love reading about you and seeing the amazing young woman you are :) I can't wait for the day that Addy and I get to walk into your store and see you in person! What a blessing you are!

The VW's said...

Sarah is such a blessing to your family, to all of us in blog land, and to the world! Happy Birthday Sarah! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Love all the lookbacks.

Rochelle said...

This post brought tears to my eyes Joyce. Beautiful!

Happy birthday Sarah! Hope your day is filled with surprises and iTunes gift cards to fill up your new Ipad!

Anonymous said...

Masterfully written. Your insight is superb!

Shelly Turpin said...

beautiful!

Pam said...

What a beautiful post and a beautiful young lady. Happy birthday Sarah, hope you've had a wonderful day :)

Nan said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! this is such a wonderful post . . . and your smile is so full of heart and laughter . . .I would recognize it at any age. Joyce: your trust in a higher power is inspiring and your story a wonderful testament! I just love reading all the adventures and your lovely brilliant ideas and Sarah's rich rich life! Thank you for always posting!

RK said...

Happy birthday Sarah!!!! (I know I'm a day late.. sorry, it's been NUTS around here lately with my two little tiny drama queens! tee hee)

I hope you had a really super fun day and got lots of Target cards. :o)

KajnBlonde said...

Joyce,

Sarah is such an incredible young lady!!

Happy Birthday, dear, sweet Sarah!!!

Mary Easley
kajnblonde@aol.com

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday, Sarah!!

My name is Sarah said...

comments from facebook:


Sylvia J Bennett I so can relate to much of this, My Cathy will be 32 next month WOW I am sure most of us never dreamed we would have oppertunity to watch our little ones grow to be adults . What a true blessing they are, teaching us all to cherish all the small stuff and know what is truely important in this life . Happy Happy Birthday Sarah !!!!

August 10 at 1:52am · Like · 1.


Pauline Holton Happy Birthday Sarah!!! Our Nikki just turned 27 last month, she too is a joy!! :-)

August 10 at 6:43am · Like · 1.


Heidi Ehle Happy birthday, Sarah!

August 10 at 6:51am · Like.


Jeff Patsy Schmidt Thank you for sharing your story and your sweet Sarah :). I can't wait for all the smiles we have in our future from our magpie :)

August 10 at 9:17am · Like.


Lisa Cape Lilienthal Happy Birthday Sweet Sarah