My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating 23 Years of Life

It has been a busy week of celebration for my birthday. I am twenty three now.


My grandma & grandpa came up to take me to the Apple store.



My grandpa decided I should have an iPad for my birthday.



Do you see this young guy helping us.  His name was Lee. I was a little afraid my grandpa wanted to bring him home with us. I did not like that so much.


My grandpa thought it was pretty funny that he had to sign his name with his finger on Lee's little pad.


That was pretty exciting. I got my own iPad.  Thank you Grandma & Grandpa Hillick.


Then we had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.


When we got home I was not so sure how to set this iPad up, so my mom took me back there.


This is Maggie.  She was so nice.  She got everything set up and now I am ready to go.


When we got back home there was a package waiting for me.


Oh look it is a cute bag. I think my new iPad will fit perfectly in here.


Look how cute this card is.  It is from Auntie Bonnie, Adam and Karen.


I went to Target to get a case for it.  This way if I drop it, it should be ok.


I was trying to get my favorite songs on here, so I had to ask my mom how to spell a few things. And then I had a brainstorm.


So I went upstairs and got my iPod. This is such a good idea.


I just started copying the words. It worked perfectly.


Very late that night my mom caught me downstairs. I could not go to sleep I was so excited.


The next day, my mom asked me to wear a red shirt for a picture. I thought it was for something about the Buckeyes. I was wrong.  She wanted to take my picture with this. I was not happy. I said it was a "little kids outfit."  She told me I wore it when I was three at my birthday party.  I do not remember that.


When I got home, I went to get the mail.  YES!!!!!!!!


It was about the Buckeyes. I knew it. You tricked me mom.  The Ohio State football tickets are here!!! I am going to a game this year. I want to see Pete play his trumpet in the marching band.  He is going to be my brother-in-law when TJ and Julie get married.


Now I'm doing the happy dance.  There is another card for me!!


It is for my birthday.  It says granddaughter on it.


Yea!!! There is money in it. I love dollar bills!!


And now Auntie Bonnie is calling to sing to me.  She calls me every year from Florida to sing Happy Birthday to me.  Then I had to get to bed because tomorrow is my birthday.


This is Denise Zarella.  She is writing a book about Down syndrome and asked if she could come meet me and bring a photographer to take some pictures of me to be in the book.


The camera guy was all over the place.  He took a lot of pictures at different angles.


They wanted to get me sewing pillow cases.  So that is what I did.


I was telling him about Kristen and how I made her a pillow case and now we have sewing nights called Kristen's Light.


Oh this is a good picture.  David Ushold, me and Denise Zarella.  You might recognize her. She works at WOIO, Channel 19.


Today is my birthday, but it is also the 2nd anniversary of our store because we opened on my birthday.  We want to thank our customers for supporting us.


Oh my goodness. I have another present.  It is from the designer Kate Spain.  She is so nice to me.


She wrote us a very special note.  TJ read it for me.


Oh I love these plates.  I asked my mom if we could have a party with them.  Kate designed these too.


OMG!!!  Will you look at this.  TJ is trying to put a clothes pin in my hair.  That silly brother of mine.


Look who else came down to see me.  My dad. I love that we all work in the same building.  It is time for me to go.  Guess where I am going?


I went home with TJ and then we went to Red Robin for my birthday dinner.  We planned it like that.  Just the two of us. My mom and dad did not even know about it. 


Julie went with us too.  She took our picture.


Knuckles.  Me and TJ do that.  I had a bad coughing spell at the restauant but TJ knows what to do.


After we were done eating we went back to TJ's apartment.  This is my favorite chair to sit in.


Look at this.  Julie baked me a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.  I love it like that.  She is a very good cook.  But I was getting so tired, so we called my mom to come get me and I took the cake home.



One picture before we leave.  My mom really loves Julie.  She is so nice to me. I am really lucky Julie is going to be my sister.


Once we got home, my little brother came down to wish me a happy birthday. 


Ok I made a wish and then blew out my candles.  Now I have to go to bed.  I am so very tired.

12 comments:

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Happy Birthday Sarah, it looks like you had a great time. Enjoy your iPad.

Emily said...

So glad you had a great birthday, Sarah!

Sabrina said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!

Cindy said...

Wow Sarah, you had such a busy birthday celebration! It just went on and on... those are the best kind!! :)

Happy, happy birthday Sarah!

Sarah said...

We share a name, and we just about share a birthday! My birthday was Saturday! Happy Birthday Sarah!

Mary said...

Happy, happy birthday! It looks like an amazing day!

Talley Images said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!

Kim said...

Happy, happy birthday my sweet friend! I hope you had a fantastic day!

Becca said...

Happy birthday, Sarah!!! What a fantastic day! Love that you got an iPad, too - so cool!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday friend! Very happy for you that you have many friend and family who love you a lot.... Have fun with your new IPad!! Ellen

Christine said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!!! Enjoy your Ipad. Jonathon loves his. He is learning lots everyday.

scissorbill said...

It sounds like a really fun birthday!