My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Week in the Life of Me

April 1 -7, 2012

My week started just like most, I am at the grocery store.


This week I picked out some vanilla icing for Easter cookies.


Then I went to the salad bar. I love making my own salad.



After dinner, I had a little project to do. I am putting some stickers on this bag. I have a surprise for Julie.  Guess what? My big brother TJ asked Julie to get married and she said yes!!


On Tuesday, I had to get to the store early and start sewing. I needed to make pillowcases with bunnies on them to take to the Children's Hospital for the little kids staying for Easter.



My best friend Stacy is on spring break, so she came to help me.



And then something really big happened. Kristi Capel from Fox 8 Cleveland came to the store with Darsi.  He's the camera man.  They were so nice.


I started showing Kristi how I make pillowcases.  Do you see Kristen's picture?  We made sure she was right beside us.


Then they filmed me at my desk upstairs. I was showing them parts of my blog.


Then we went back downstairs into the store.  And that's when I became the news reporter.  As soon as they gave me the microphone I knew what I was going to do...


I started singing the Lady Gaga song I sang at the last music therapy share day. Ms. Bonnie would be proud. I did a really good job.


But this is for television, so I had to say...This is Sarah Ely. Reporting live from JEllens' house of fabric.



I had such a good time with Kristi.  We were acting like sisters.



Oh speaking of sisters, I went home with TJ for dinner.  Julie is cooking.  She is a good cook.


Plus, I had something for her.  Remember that little bag I was putting stickers on?


It was a gift for Julie.  It is a blue and white scarf.  She has some sapphires in her new engagement ring.  This scarf will go with it really nice.  I picked it out all by myself.


Oh here we are.  We are going to be SISTERS!!! I am so excited. I love Julie so much.



On Wednesday, I had to get all the pillowcases packed up.



My mom and I started driving.  As soon as we got to this intersection I knew where we were going.  The Cleveland Clinic.  I said to my mom, "I am not sick. Why are we here?"  She said, "Remember the pillowcases."  Oh that's right. I almost forgot.



Just as we got to the elevator, I spotted a wheelchair.  My mom said maybe I should get into it and carry the bag with the pillowcases.  We had 65 with us, so the bag was really heavy.


When we got off the elevator, there was Darsi the camera man.  Channel 8 was going to film me bringing in the pillowcases for the story.  Then I met a mom who has a baby in for heart surgery. I showed her my scars and my mom told her everything was going to be all right.  She cried when I gave her a pillowcase. It was a nice feeling.


Then just for fun, we went down to the hospital cafeteria.  We used to come here to eat alot.  I spent so much time in this hospital. They never had a Subway here before. This is pretty cool.


Next we went to Target to buy a new book.  As soon as we turned the corner I knew which one.  It is written by Kelle.  She has a little girl named Nella.  I love her. She is so cute.


While my mom was making dinner, I took the book and went upstairs to my bedroom.  She couldn't find it when she was ready to read it.  I knew she was looking for me because I heard her scream, "SARAH, where is my book?"  I'm busted.


I love the pictures in this book. They are really cool.


We have this really neat place at Easter called Eggshelland.  These people take all these real eggs and paint them and make a display in their front yard.  Last night I decided we should go.  I was hoping all the little kids would be gone if we waited really late. Sure enough. Just me and Matt.  Look at my feet.  I wore my slippers. LOL!!!  Happy Easter everybody.

10 comments:

Team Lando said...

I love these posts! Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

Sarah, you are awesome! I love reading your blog. It makes me look forward to my little girl with DS growing up! I hope we have as much fun together as you and your mom do!

Cindy said...

Sarah you have the best adventures! I wish I could see you on TV! I hope you had a great Easter!

Bonnie Hayhurst said...

What a week Sarah! Can't wait to see your Fox 8 segment...maybe they will show a little bit of the Lady Gaga performance?! ;-) You ROCK girl. And congrats on your new sister. =) -Ms. B

Carole Bruno said...

God Bless You, Sarah Ely
You are a true joy!

StarSpry said...

Sounds like a wonderful week! How fun that you were on TV because of your pillowcases. It's wonderful that you make and donate them to the local hospital :) Congratulations to your brother and soon-to-be sister!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah is so beautiful. I have to confess that I have been silently following Sarah’s blog since my son was a couple of weeks old and I love it. It has encourage me to look forward to the future with hope. All I want for my son’s future is what Sarah has. A healthy, happy and fulfilling life, a loving family and lots of friends.
Lilah

Amy said...

WOW! How awesome you got to be on the news!!! And of course you absolutely deserve it- such a wonderful cause to make special pillow cases for the hospital. I'm sure you brightened that mama's day more than you know. :)

kate spain said...

Wow, Sarah, what an exciting week you had!! Congratulations to TJ and Julie! Pete and I are so happy for them, and for your whole family. You must be so thrilled to have a new sister! Your work on all those pillowcases is amazing and I bet you made lots of people very happy when you brought them to the hospital. How fun that you got to be on the news, too! You are a super celebrity!! Keep being your wonderful self. Lots of love, kate

Paula said...

I love that you're wearing your slippers -- they look sort of like bunny feet! Very cute!! I love the picture of you and your brother!