My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Down Syndrome in the Ukraine


by Joyce:  A quick request.  If you are reading this and have adopted a child with Down syndrome from the Ukraine, will you please call me at the quilt store on Friday @ 440-684-9830. I would love to hear about your experience.

A friend of a friend of a friend, has an international house guest this week who is from the Ukraine.  She is a teacher and has a son with Down syndrome. She recently started a program in her homeland for parents who are raising their child with Down syndrome.  This friend thought I might be a good person to talk to since I have experience in the not-for-profit world and a daughter with Down syndrome. What she did not know is I have had the privilege of getting to know so many of you who have had experience in the Ukraine.

On a tiny side note...the woman who is hosting the dinner sent me directions to her place today.  She lives in The Waterford on the coast of Lake Erie. The same building I lived in. The one John and I had our wedding reception in the party room a short twenty five years ago. I have not been been back there since August 1986.  I'm thinking there's more to this plan than I know right now. I wonder if that's By Chance or By Design?

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who tried to call and left messages. I appreciate the quick response. I had such a wonderful evening with Olena. She is an amazing woman and trail blazer for kiddos with Down syndrome in her country. I will post more soon.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

must read post on the subject:
http://www.nogreaterjoymom.com/2011/02/redeeming-love.html

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hello Joyce and Sarah!

I do know that programmes in the former Soviet Union are growing to include people with Trisomy 21.

(there were definitely two in Russia and Romania).

Hope you get lots of people in the quilt shop.

Seems the work since March 2011 has been bearing fruit.

And well! Destiny where the teacher was concerned.

stephanie said...

Joyce this post gave me goosebumps!!! Something good is going to happen! Good luck!

charlotte said...

Must admit, I started reading this post and thought you were about to adopt!!!

Rochelle said...

I left a message for you. Please call if you still need anymore info. Praying that this meeting is a wonderful door opener. Amazing how God is always in the details! I don't think anything is ever by chance!

Shelley said...

Let me know if you need more information. Also, please make sure that they are hooked up with the Parent group in Kiev and have visited the Ds center there. I can send you contact info for them if you need it. LOTS of good things going on right now in UA for people with Down syndrome.

Lacey said...

I've been so nuts and missed this. If you still need stories about Ukraine, let me know!