My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Quilts and Reece's Rainbow

How grateful we are to have another story on an international website.  This one is on Quilts, Inc. That's the group that hosts the big quilt convention that I went to last May in Salt Lake City and Polly, Kristen's mom went with us. You can read the story here.  It talks about my quilt project for the kiddos coming home through Reece's Rainbow. So I thought I would show you what I do.

This is really the last part of making the quilt. I have to put the binding on.


I very carefully pin it.


I have to make sure the edges match up perfectly.  Then I sew it on the machine.


Next I write a little note.


All done.  This one is going to Kirill.  We were praying for him. His adoption took a little extra time because the judge first said no.  But his family did not give up and appealed the decision and then they got to go back to Russia to bring him home. You can read about the journey on their blog.


Oh wait, I think I will add a smiley face.  I sure hope he likes it.  I picked one with cute dogs and cats on it.  The fabric is call Max & Whiskers by Basic Grey for Moda.

Guess what?


Kirill loves it!!!!


We sent two pillow cases. One for Kirill and one for his brother. Are they so cute:) The pillowcases we make in memory of Kristen Ann Kirton.  One more happy day!!!

16 comments:

Kristin said...

So wonderful! We were praying for Kirill, too. Doesn't he look so happy!?

Patti said...

you are awesome, Sarah!!

Lacey said...

We love love our quilts! Although I'm weird, and afraid to use them because I don't want to get them ruined! Dumb, I know! They are packed up now, but when we move, and get settled into their new rooms, we'll be putting them out for sure!

Zoey's mom, Heather said...

You guys are amazing Sarah. I remember how we all came together to pray for Kirill and now he is home. Where he belongs and he has one of your beautiful, beautiful quilts.

Joyce,tomorrow I head down to Children's Hospital to deliver 27 blankets to children on Zoey's oncology floor. Our 8th delivery since Zoey was released from treatment ... we can never forget where we came form or what we are called to do for others. These children, our children, have taught us so much about giving ourselves to others. Keeping connected. It is what this life is all about.

Love to you both.

Emily said...

It's so cool to see you making the quilt then Kirill loving his quilt!

Shelly Turpin said...

I love it! That was so sweet! The boys look so happy!

Sabrina said...

That's great, Sarah! Kirill looks very happy. What a blessing that he found his forever family at last, and that he gets one of your awesome quilts, too :)

Rochelle said...

You are such a huge blessing!

Kim said...

This is fabulous Sarah! You are so talented - and I love, love the pillowcases! What a fabulous gift you've given.

Kim @ thesimpsonsix.blogspot.com

Amy said...

LOVE it!! Kirill is such a cutie, and I love the fabric you chose for him- SO cute!! :))

Melissa said...

I love this project Sarah!

Tiffany said...

This is all kinds of awesome, Sarah!

Groves said...

(I'm going to leave this comment on your site and on Polly's, too. It was prompted by seeing a post on a blog - Cayman's - about how families with special children feel when they are approached.)

My daughter and I saw a girl with Down Syndrome at the library the other day, and we were both so delighted that we hardly knew how to act. Since reading these blogs, my children's dearest wish has become that maybe, someday, God will let us adopt one of these *extra* special children - not meaning only children with Down Syndrome, but *any* special child.

We didn't want to make the girl uncomfortable, and we tried to act "normal" - but we smiled and said hello as warmly as possible without being weird. :)

Garland saw the girl at the computers in the kids' book section, and her (Garland's, she is six) face lit up like a Christmas tree. She started mouthing, "Mom? Is she? Is she?" Her idea of seeing a movie star is actually encountering one of these VIPs "up close and personal" in real life. She is the biggest fan ever of Kristen and of Sarah.

After confirming that, yes, she was really getting to meet one of these most-valued people, there were smiles, waves, and hellos until we left the building. I could hardly get her to leave.

All this to say - sometimes people are looking at or approaching your special kids because we (if this makes any sense) think they are MORE important and MORE valuable. I know this probably isn't coming out right, because of course we love other kids, too. It's just that we see in your children how God "uses what is called weak in this world to shame the strong."

These kids have been through more than the average (a LOT more than the average) - and they have the character and heart and insight to go with that. We consider them bright lights in a dark world.

YOUR CHILDREN MATTER. VERY MUCH.

Thank you for loving them, and for letting us love them with you.

Very big fans,

Cathy in Missouri, and Garland, too

Sarah said...

Sarah, the quilt is beautiful! What an amazing and thoughtful gift! I need you to give me sewing lessons. I can't even thread a machine, much less make a quilt. I sure wish I had sewing skills like you.
Great job!

Sarah
http://alongtheroadadoption.blogspot.com

Robbie said...

Hello Sarah and Joyce, I am Piper's nana, Robbie. (aimeesbowlofcherries.blogspot.com)
I do a LOT of quilting. If you ever want long arm quilting done for RR quilts, let me know! I'd be happy do them for you if you don't have a volunteer. (I can probably get help with postage, too.)

I hope Piper will want to learn to quilt when she gets bigger. I have 2 Featherweights, one for her and one for me, so we can stitch side by side.

Katrina said...

I love the quilt you made Kirill. You are very talented and what a generous heart you have. I was so thrilled when Kirill was finally able to come home. What a wonderful homecoming gift you gave him.

Katrina
Carlene's soon to be momma :)
www.operationorphannomore.blogspot.com