My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Money, Money, Money...

Remember this picture...


A few of you were correct. Don't you just hate it when you're all dressed up then have to walk past the smokers hanging at the door of the building you're going into.  My mom calls it the tunnel of death. It's a bad asthma attack waiting to happen. So I just whipped my jacket off and covered my nose and mouth trying not to inhale.


Once I was inside I put my jacket back on. I was downtown for an important meeting at Skylight Financial.  They have a division called the Michael Carter Group.  The people there specialize in working with families who have someone like me.

My mom says it is really super important to make sure all my money is handled correctly.  That is why I have something called the Sarah Ely Special Needs Trust.  Really smart lawyers over at Hickman & Lowder set it up for us.  It will take care of all my future needs, but still allow me to collect my monthly SSI check. 



After the meeting, I decided I wanted to look out the window.  It was a little scary though. I inched over very carefully and then I...


looked down.  Yikes, that is a big fall.  It is sorta freaking me out a little bit.

That's better.  Down the elevator we went to check out one of the guitars on display.  This beauty cost  $10,000. Wow, that is a lot of money.  But it went to a really good cause, the United Way of Greater Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


And speaking of rock and roll...look where we went for lunch.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Your mom's a smart lady to set up a trust for you... and that's a really cute skirt you're wearing :)

Sabrina said...

I love your outfit, Sarah! Very cool. Also cool that you got to eat at Hard Rock! I've never been there before.

Also, I can't stand cigarette smoke, either - it doesn't give me asthma but it does hurt my eyes and burn my throat quite a bit. :(

GirlWithTheCane said...

Sarah, it's great that you and your mom are making sure that you will have money for the future.

I really like your blog. :)

eliz said...

Great idea to start the trust!
Yes my boys with asthma hate when there is smoke or cold air conditioning blowing on them. Some people just don't get it!

laurahlj said...

Hi Sarah! I smiled when I read you post today. We just met with the Michael Carter Group yesterday and signed our special needs trust for Ben. They are really nice and smart people! We hope to stop in your store soon!

Emily said...

Great outfit!

EN said...

What an important topic to cover! Can you go into greater detail about what you've learned about setting up a trust? I'm sure it would help many families!

RK said...

Glad to hear your parents are covering all the bases with the trust! We just completed executing ours last week for Braska!

(FYI... for those interested, the Met Life Center for Special Needs Planning is also an excellent resource! And no, I don't get a commission! :o)