My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Miss You Kristen

One year ago today, my mom came into my bedroom and told me my blogging friend Kristen was in Heaven. I cried. I can't believe it has been one year already. I miss you Kristen.


Today we are making pillowcases in the store in memory of Kristen.  If you don't know about our story you can click here and here to read about it. 

This past May while I was at quilt market in Salt Lake City, I was able to visit Kristen's house and meet with her family.


I even got to spend some time in Kristen's bedroom.  How do you like her tree?  She loved that tree.


I sat in her favorite chair. That made me a little sad.


And I got to see all her favorite trinkets. Here's the thing. Kristen and I lived thousands of miles apart, but we both loved the same stuff. Like Disney, and beads, and Minnie Mouse.  Do you see the picture of Kristen on the wall.  She is an angel now. 


After we left their house, we were driving down the road and I said, " She's here." My mom said, "Who's here Sarah?" "Kristen. She's here mom." "Ok, Sarah." "No mom, I mean it. Kristen is here. I know she is here."  My mom kept her eyes on the road because there was construction.  After we got out of the way, she said, "Sarah, Kristen is in heaven honey. With the angels." I said, "No mom, she is here."


When we got to the cemetery, I did not want to get out of the car.  So my mom and Kristen's mom were talking together.  Then I decided to get out and walk over.  Polly told me all about the day they buried Kristen.


I brought something I wanted to leave next to where Kristen is resting. A purple butterfly. My mom likes purple butterflies and I thought Kristen would too.  A few days earlier it was Kristen's birthday. As we were leaving I said, "Happy Birthday Kristen. I miss you. I will see you soon."


A few weeks after we left Utah, they put Kristen's picture on her heart. I think it is beautiful. I know Polly and her family will be here today.  They will be very sad. Please pray for the Kirton family today.


10 comments:

GirlWithTheCane said...

Hi Sarah

Thank you for sharing your story about your special friendship with Kristen. I think that you were very lucky to have her as a friend...and that she was very lucky to have you as a friend.

Take good care of yourself. :)

Kwilt Noob said...

I'm so sorry that I will not be able to join you today, Sarah. But I will be thinking of you and Kristen all day!

Amy L said...

We miss Kristen too and will be praying for Polly and her family. Thank you for sharing your heart today Sarah. I'm sure Kristen is smiling down at you right now.

Groves said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful post, Sarah. I am missing Kristen, too, and seeing your pictures helped.

She has such a good friend in you! This is the most wonderful part of the internet, I think...meeting people who you would never know otherwise.

Thank you for being such a loving, sweet person, Sarah.

Cathy in Missouri

Amy said...

My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your dear friend. <3 I found your blog after noticing someone visited our adoption blog from a link off yours- thank you so much for sharing our story! I love your blog and will definitely include a link here on our family blog :)

Zoey's mom, Heather said...

Sending you love today Sarah, as you are missing your sweet and beautiful friend. We miss her too.

Lacey said...

I can't believe its been a year since going to her funeral. Wow how time flies!

Kellan's momma said...

Sarah, you are such a sweet friend. Thinking of you today!

Sarah said...

Sarah, I think Kristen would have been really proud to know what a great friend you still remain.

Thanks for sharing her with us today! I love reading your blog and even though this is a sad post, it made me smile to see all the photos and special memories you have of her.

Nan said...

Thinking of you and praying for Kristen's family. Kristen's spirit lives on in you Sarah, and in all the people thnking of Kristen and her family today because of your blog.