My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

CEVEC Graduation

Very early this morning my dad dropped my off at CEVEC. I had not been there for awhile because I have been working at the fabric store. It was good to see my friends. We spent most of the day rehearsing.  Then TJ picked me up and took me home so I could take a nap. 


When I woke up, there was a surprise waiting for me.


Hmm...I wonder what would happen if I gave it the 'ole...


...punch one, two, three.  After a short round of boxing practice, my mom said it was time to get dressed. 


All the girls received a flower to wear with a pink ribbon.


This is my friend Brittany. We have known each other for a really long time. We were born just one week apart back in August 1989.   

These are my friends Brittany and Courtney. They are twins.  But I can always tell them apart.


Grandma and Grandpa surprised me.  I did not know they were coming.


This is Mrs. Rose. She was my teacher at the apartment.

Here we come. Pomp and Circumstances played over and over again. Everyone stood up once we were all at our seats.


Here is my friend Brittany again. She gave a speech. She did a good job.


I sat in the front row. Yikes, that meant I had to be on my best behavior.


Coming out in the audience to give my mom a flower.


Time for our row to stand up.  Soon I heard, "Sarah Ely. Employed at JEllen's house of fabric." Haaa, that was my cue to move.


And so I moved really fast. "Hello Mr. Ross," I said before shaking his hand.


Darn. This hat won't stay on my head.  Good thing it is almost the end.


It's over. My friend Richard came up to see me before we left the stage.


Here I am with my friend Anthony.


Time for a few group shots. TJ and Julie are here. No Matt though. He is in Washington DC with his class from school.

And now one with mom in it.  Usually she is the one taking pictures. Thanks Julie.

We all got a present from the principal, Mrs. Schwartz. I wonder what it is?


Nice. It is a personal grooming case.  That will come in handy.


This is John Kabat.  He has been so good to me. He always makes sure I have what I need to succeed. Thank you. He is retiring at the end of the year. Good luck Mr. Kabat.


OMG!!!!!!!!!! It's Mr. K.  I was really mad at him earlier today. But I can't stay mad at him forever. 


We are going to be best friends for life. I am so happy now.


Mrs. Henschel and me. She has been my teacher for the last two years.  This year she came to visit me at the store.


My friends. Damon and the guys. 


Once we got home, I could hardly walk. My dad had to help me in the house I was so tired.


Time for a cookie. A big chocolate chip cookie with milk. Then it is bedtime. 

First, I have a card to open.  Oh YES!!! Target cards.  Thank you Grandma & Grandpa. You're the best:)


Welp, that's a wrap. Graduation Class of 2011 comes to an end.  Now I really have to get to bed because I have to go to work in the morning.

18 comments:

Zoey's mom said...

Congratulations Sarah!So very proud of you.I love all your pictures and you looked amazing in your cap and gown.You are such an inspiration to our community and with each and every success you share with us, we see a glimpse into the possibilities with all our little ones.Sleep well after that long but incredible day sweet girl.

Kristin said...

So cool! Piper wanted to know if you got to keep your cap and gown. She didn't get to keep hers (from preschool graduation last week) and was kind of sad about that.
Sweet dreams!

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Congratulations Sarah. I could never get my cap to stay on either!

Adelaide Dupont said...

What a wonderful, amazing, magnificent celebration.

Great to see you had so many friends in the CEVEC group.

Yes, it is a bit sad about graduation clothes.

Pomp and Circumstance: great song!

Which twin had the shiniest hair?

Hope Matt has a great time in the Capital.

Glad you and Mr K are reconcilled.

Kwilt Noob said...

Congratulations, Sarah! Your future is as bright as your smile!

Emily said...

Thank you for sharing your graduation! So exciting! I'm so proud of your accomplishments - you do inspire dreams for my Josie.

Maureen said...

Hi Sarah, Congratulations on you accomplishment! Thank you for all the great pictures. It looks like you and your family had a great time.

Mary said...

Congratulations Sarah!

Amy L said...

Congratulations, you are beautiful!!!

Cool Cats and Quilts said...

Fantastic Sarah, it looks like you had a wonderful day! You and all your friends looked great dressed in your graduation gowns. Congrats!

Sabrina said...

Congratulations, Sarah! I'm proud of you, girl - you are awesome! :)

Cindy said...

Congratulations Sarah! Thank you for all the pictures. I feel like I got to be there with you!

Shelly Turpin said...

Congratulations Sarah! We are all so proud of you!

Cathleen said...

Congratulations! You are so beautiful at your graduation. I am so proud of your success. You are such a great role model.

JRS said...

Congratulations Sarah! You looked gorgeous, as usual.
---Jen

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Michelle said...

congratulations on your graduation!

WheresMyAngels said...

Congrats Sarah!!