My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Calling Nurse Sarah

by Joyce...last night I went to urgent care to have my shoulder examined. I came home in a lot of pain and sporting a dreadful sling on my arm.  You can read more about it here if you like. But that's not really the point of this post.


What I really want to share with you is how extremely helpful Sarah has been.  The first thing she did when I got home from the doctor is she went up into my room and brought me pj's and a robe to change into.  Then she got the quilt out that we have always used when the kids are not feeling well and gently wrapped it around me and carefully tucked the corners around my legs. She went into the kitchen and brought me some snacks and then sat in the big chair to watch television with me.  She often got up and came over to me to rub my head, reposition the pillow and check the strap on the sling. It melted my heart it was so sweet and totally unprompted.

This morning when I got out of the shower she was already dressed, sitting on my bed, with the sling in her hands ready to help put it on me.  She was so helpful at the store...until...she spotted me with the sling off.  Then she ran upstairs to tell John and TJ that I was not cooperating:) 

I've started calling her Nurse Sarah, to which she responds with a big, proud grin. Priceless moments for sure for this lucky momma.

9 comments:

kate spain said...

your sarah is so sweet. how wonderful and heartwarming, joyce. thank you for sharing the tenderness of sarah's actions (but keep that sling on...or else!). xo

Karen said...

All those years of receiving care, and she's finally able to give back. I love it.

RK said...

Way to go Sarah! I am sure you are such a big help! It is very thoughtful of you to get up and ready so you can help your mom with the sling. I'm sitting here thinking I hope my girls are that thoughtful someday when they're bigger. :o)

hollyctr said...

That is the sweetest thing I've heard all day! I hope you feel better soon!!

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing this! I'm so proud of you, Sarah, for trading roles with your mom. Great job!

Groves said...

Now, see, Sarah? This is just another reason why we think you are one in a million! Look at you taking care of your Mom like a pro!!! And I'm not surprised, because you have a sweet, tender heart that shines out everywhere.

AND we are impressed that you ALSO have the nerve and guts to "call in the authorities" (GO BROTHERS!) when your patient steps out of line. :) Keep it up, keep it up...I have a feeling that your Mom doesn't like to sit still for long!

Well, we just love you all over again. As usual!

Smiling,

Cathy in Missouri

JennyH said...

That is so sweet. Nothing better than getting pampered by your child when you don't feel well.


Hope you are recovering....I'm off to read what happened.

Kristin said...

Aahhh. So sweet.

Rochelle said...

That is so sweet. Just shows how great you always take care of her. Hope your shoulder is better soon.