My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

When Life Seems Unkind

by Joyce...The longer I am alive, the more I realize life often does not seem fair. There are moments of great happiness and elation and there are moments of pain and sorrow. I've also lived long enough to realize, our struggles are often meticulously planned out to better prepare us for what's to come. I hold that last thought in mind as I follow this story. It seems so unkind. So unbelievable. Yet, it is real.

There is a little boy named Kirill. He lives in an orphanage in eastern Europe. His basic needs are being met, but as most babies living in an institutional setting, the surroundings are quite modest and he is void of the love only a family can give. And this is where the story breaks down.



Kirill has a family waiting for him. They have spent a great deal of time preparing, raising the needed funds, completing mountains of paperwork. They have even held him in their arms. On August 10, 2010, they felt that human attachment. They experienced that first moment when Kirill wrapped his arms around their necks. Their hearts are wide open with desire and love. This past week they returned to Eastern Europe to being Kirill home. Instead, their arms are empty. They were denied.

That's right. DENIED. The judge told them because Kirill has Down syndrome, he would be better off in the orphanage. In a cold sterile institution. I have been wrestling with this from the moment I first read it. For many reasons. Some to personal to share here. I just can't fathom how another human being could possibly think this way. By denying this little boy a family this judge has denied him the chance to ever experience true love. She has denied him the possibility of ever having a bond with a mother, of having siblings interact with him, of having a family support system, a real family to celebrate his birthday each year. She has denied him access to quality health care. All because he has Down syndrome.

My heart is breaking for this little boy. For the Davis family. Yet, they are not giving up. Please go to their blog. Read Kirill's story. Pray with all your might that something will cause this judge to rethink her decision. To change her mind. To realize that it is because he has Down syndrome that he deserves a family. A family to love him each and everyday. A family who WANTS him.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

That is so unfair. My heart aches for that poor little boy! I do hope that God gives Kirill and the Davis family a miracle.

Zoey's mom said...

Kirill has been on my heart as well.Carrington too.Just did a post about them.Seems all I can do.Spread the word.Bring attention to them and the hundreds of others like the.Precious children who deserve more.I received a comment from someone that said she would have never known about RR,had I not had a button on my blog.She donated last month and will continue to... I guess the little things we do,that seem insignificant,really aren't.

Amy said...

Amen! We are praying that God will work everything out and HIS glory will shine on Krill and his FAMILY!

Groves said...

I (foolishly) don't want to believe there are people living on this planet who actually think that children - ANY children - are better cared for in an institution than by a family.

Of course, there ARE people like that. It makes me wish I could put *them* in an institution for a good long while and take away all their rights and freedoms - until the day when they said, "You know what? I couldn't have been more wrong. No one should have to live like this. NO ONE."

Least of all a child!

Getting mad doesn't help, but I am mad anyway.

Meanwhile, I'll stop stewing and talk to the One who can right wrongs and bring justice swiftly. I can't, but He can.

Thanks for always spreading the word. I do pray that help with come for this little boy and his family.

Love,

Cathy in Missouri

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

very well written - you put into words my thoughts as i have read about kirill. i hope and pray that the judge will change her mind and he will be able to come home with his forever family!!!

Karen said...

I saw this story a few days ago. My heart just broke. How? Why? And why not?

Tiffany said...

Unbelievable! Is there anything we can do besides pray? I will pray as hard as I can!!!