My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sarah...You are so Busted

by Joyce...Very very late last night I was sitting next to the warm fire flipping through the channels on late night television. I was mentally drained from being on the phone all afternoon dealing with our current health insurance crisis, when I heard some noises coming from the kitchen. I assumed it was Matt, the fourteen year old who just can't seem to get enough to eat right now. I called out to him. No response. I called again. No response. So I got out of my chair and walked into the kitchen. And this is what I found...

At first, she tried to pretend she didn't see me. Then I said, "Sarah, you are so busted. I thought you were in bed." "MOM"...she pleaded, trying to hide the container from view.

"Sarah, what are you doing?" "Nothing. Nothing. Nothing." she repeated. Finally, she showed me her container filled with six freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

Then she dug out a piece of paper from the junk drawer and a marker. Once I saw what she was writing, I knew exactly what she was up to...

She was hiding cookies from her brothers. She wanted to be sure there would be some left in the morning. Smart cookie my Sarah is, pun totally intended:) In those three little words, Don't Touch Sarah, she let the entire house know what she was thinking. As she placed her newly labeled container in the cupboard, I wrapped my arms around her and told her how much I love her. I was bursting with pride and in awe at the same time. This tiny little incident, completely insignificant to most, simply wowed me. It was one of those moments of gratitude, that only a mom in the "Ds club" would understand. And I needed that to put everything else in perspective.

23 comments:

one_plustwins said...

LOVE IT, JOYCE!!!

Kristin said...

Love it! Sarah - you ARE a smart cookie!!!
Another reason I love your blog so much. Moments posted like these. So many of the Ds blogs I follow are about kiddos like mine, much younger, not talking, walking, or writing. So good to see what our smartie pants are capable of.

Kristen's mom said...

Oh Sarah, that is so cute. I even have tears running down my cheeks, because I get it.

eliz said...

Just precious! (((HUGS))) to you both!

Amy said...

Ok, so... I've been tearing up over a lot of things these days, and this is one of them! What a great post. Real life. :) She IS a smart cookie. Give Sarah an extra squeeze from all of us blog readers. ;)

Scarehaircare said...

way to go, Sarah! Boys tend to inhale EVERYTHING, especially cookies! P.S. - did you save some for your dad, too?

Patti said...

Joyce, once again my heart is in my throat, because you give me hope for the future. Just this simple story makes me so happy, because at one time I really didn't realize how much Lily could do and be some day....coming here and reading again and again just shows me how very wrong I was. Love you!

Shelley said...

Ha! That is gorgeous! Well done Sarah.

Becca said...

This gives me chills!!! I love this, and love Sarah!

RK said...

Hey Sarah, can you snag me a couple too?? :o)

Lacey said...

I love how it says don't touch Sarah! I would never chance that one! I think Sarah's rath is probably pretty scary! You go girl!

Amy Flege said...

i love this!! i dont blame her. those cookies look yummy!!!

Brandie said...

What a resourceful young lady! Those cookies look yummy! Enjoy one for me. :)

Rochelle said...

Definitely not insignificant here, have the tears to prove it. Sarah you are awesome and one very smart cookie!

Cindy said...

This is just too funny. When Beth occasionally buys her own food - cheese sticks, or crackers, she puts her name on it immediately!

Emily said...

Fresh cookies don't last long here either - Sarah, I'm stealing that idea. Thanks for sharing, Joyce!

starrlife said...

Ha ha ha! How funny and smart is that! She's got her priorities straight! I adore these moments when we verify what we already know- the lights are totally on and shining brightly, mostly a matter of catching them!

Bulldogma said...

Wow - we can so identify with that in our house - between my 6'3" husband and my almost-16-year-old son, it's a rare cookie that lasts more than 5 minutes in our kitchen! Sarah - you are brilliant!

Karen said...

Having 3 boys here (one a 13 year old) I know exactly what Sarah was thinking. And I'm so proud of her!

Kristen said...

That's a sweet story.

Bethany said...

Hahaha!! Soo something Payton would do!

kate spain said...

This story made me laugh so hard!! I know where you're coming from, Sarah. I should try this with Pete! He likes to eat homemade cookies for breakfast! lol

Katy said...

I just found your blog from the cleveland.com article about you and Sarah. Thanks so much for sharing with us.