My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Innocence, Purity & Cheerfulness

by Joyce...I stayed at the store tonight to finish unloading a huge delivery. More than 150 bolts of fabric to be exact. We are starting to experience new visitors from a story that is in a quilting publication arriving in subscribers mailboxes this week, (it is due out on newsstands Feb. 1st) so I wanted to be sure to get the new product on the floor. It was almost 11:00pm and my body was sending me signals that it had enough. Tired, achy, crabby and hungry would describe it best. I walked into the kitchen to turn off the lights. As I was reaching for the switch, my eyes caught something they had not seen before...

This is the counter where we have the dedication frame for Kristen on display. Next to the wall are two plants. They were brought to Sarah and me from a dear friend on our very first day in August. How they are still living is beyond me, as I was definitely not born with a green thumb. I rarely water them which is why I am often picking up the brown leaves that have fallen into the sink and that window is an original from the 1950's home this used to be. It is cold and drafty for sure. The plants each came with cute sunflowers that have chalkboard centers. Last week I changed the messages to read...

Imagine my surprise and shock tonight, when I spotted the new flower. There have not been any flowers since the week they were delivered. I knew in an instant, this was not By Chance. Kristen's light has been shinning so brightly in our shop these past few weeks, she has a flower blooming...

A beautiful flower indeed. I immediately forgot all about my aches and pains. I smiled. I had tears running down my checks. I said a little prayer. And then I ran upstairs for the camera, so I could share this moment with Kristen's dear mom Polly.
.
I just googled the name of this plant...Gerbera...up came a site called http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/mostpopularflowers/gerberas. This is what it says...The meanings of Gerbera flowers stem from those attributed to the general daisy family. These meanings include innocence and purity, and daisies are also a classic symbol of beauty. However, the Gerbera variety holds an added meaning of cheerfulness, which stems from the assortment of colors available.
.
I read it twice to be sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. Could there be any doubt...only By Design...I can't think of two girls more fitting of that description than Kristen and Sarah. And without Kristen's sunshine, there would be no flowers in that pot on a cold snowy night in Ohio.

Sarah with her plant 8-9-2010
There are times, most of the time truthfully, that I truly do not feel worthy of such experiences. Yet I am reminded that if one allows our Higher Power to be in control, miracles large and small surround us. His presence is with us. Polly and I feel it every day.

18 comments:

kate spain said...

How beautiful, Joyce. Truly special and magical in so many ways. I've been keeping my eyes on the mailbox all week waiting anxiously for a certain issue of a certain magazine to get here already!!! xxoo

Kwilt Noob said...

Further evidence that nothing happens by accident! Isn't it amazing how these little miracles happen just when you need them the most?

Emily said...

What a powerful experience! And an affirmation of all the good work you're doing in memory of Kristen - God bless you both, Joyce and Sarah.

Can't wait to see the beautiful fabric and the creations that come from it!

Kristen's mom said...

I'm sitting here in tears.

Anonymous said...

Beauty in so many ways. You have been given a powerful opportunity for testimony. I hope you will continue to share it with others for their salvation.

Brighton said...

I love this!

Groves said...

Loved this beautiful story, as I do your whole blog. You may have seen the comment on Polly's blog, but my kids have gotten so attached to Kristen and to your Sarah, too. What a powerful force for good these sweet girls are - they bring a true richness to the lives of people who know them, even by computer!

The kids got the biggest kick out of the post where Sarah was in the kitchen making sure that there were some cookies left & making her sign! :))

Thanks again for sharing your one-of-a-kind, lovely daughter with us. I wish so much that we were close to where you live so that we could visit the store!

Love,

Cathy in Missouri

Bulldogma said...

~~Tingles~~

Sabrina said...

That was most definitely "A God thing," Joyce! What a blessing!

Kristin said...

Gerbera daisies are my favorite flower!! So cool.

Anonymous said...

I was coming here to thank you for the uplifting story in American Patchwork & Quilting. After reading this post on your blog, I am quite overwhelmed. What an amazing story you have. Very special people, all of you. Wishing you the best, Darlene from Knoxville.

Cindy said...

I completely agree - By Design! Such a gorgeous flower too!

Lacey said...

Wow, that is so amazing! What a nice way for Kristen to send some sunshine!

Becca said...

What a beautiful thing to have happened! Definitely not coincidental. Love this.

Zoey's mom said...

And her light continues to shine ...

Nothing is coincidence,rather God being anonymous.Heard that one day,during some dark days with Miss Z.Have held it in my heart ever since.

ParkerMama said...

Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.


Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com

Anonymous said...

You have brought up a very excellent points, thankyou for the post.

Anonymous said...


Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?