My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Friends Around the World

I have been holding this post so it is planted perfectly in line with our big announcement.

Last week I received a package in the mail. It had a return address all the way from the state of Maryland. It was soft, so my mom helped me cut it open very carefully.

It had a bag inside with some fabric.

And a card.

The very nice note was from a woman who follows my blog. She wanted to send some pillowcases for our event in memory of Kristen. I thought that was so nice. And the pillowcases were so cute. Thank you Joan!!!

And then my mom got to looking at them, closely. All of a sudden the entire plan we were going to use on Thursday was aborted. These cases were made using the roll it up method, which means no exposed seams and easy peasy. With that simple change of direction, we have been able to complete...66 pillowcases and we are still receiving them.
.
It is so awesome to have friends around the world. Oh speaking of friends and the world, check out this post all the way over in Australia...These Girls Inspire Me. Thanks Rhiannen.

7 comments:

Kristen's mom said...

Wow! more pillowcases! I am so excited! We also used the roll it up method and it made things much easier. Sarah, you are a celebrity and have many friends all over the world. You are a shining star. a rockstar.

Adelaide Dupont said...

That is excellent!

Love Joan's animal/jungle edges. They are an easy way to tell the pillowcases in a crowd.

(And 66 pillowcases and coming is a crowd).

Wonderful to see her card.

Fantastic, too, that you picked up Rhi's blog on Australia Day and wrote some comments there.

Joan B. in Maryland said...

Sarah-
You are an inspiration and web celebrity! Wow Australia! You are welcome for the pillowcases I sent. My family and I loved your post about them! 66 pillowcases and counting, all because you and your mom inspired us all to action. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Sarah not only are you a web celebrity, I just read the article about you and Kristen in American Patchwork and Quilting. If I lived a little closer (I'm in Denver) I would be at your shop tomorrow. I've always wanted to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so now I have an even greater reason to come to Cleveland. I love your story and you are beautiful. Bethany

Anonymous said...

I receieved the April issue of American Patchwork and Quilting today. I can't stop looking at it. I have read the story over and over again. My husband and I recently learned the baby we are expecting will be born Down syndrome. I am thirty nine and this will be our first child. I have been not been able to sleep for days as we are worried beyond belief. Your story has given me hope. I knew deep inside my heart that everything would be ok, but I needed something to hang onto. You have given that to me. To Kristen's family, I can't imagine the pain you all are feeling. May Heavenly Father be with you. Mary in Tulsa.

Cammie Heflin said...

I think Addy is definitely ready to start sleeping with a pillow :) Gonna have to get a Kristen pillowcase :)

Emily said...

Congrats on meeting your goal! I'm so proud for you!