My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Be the Change

We had an important visitor in the store today. His name is Tom Gregoire. He is the Dean of the College of Social Work at The Ohio State University. If you have been following my story for long, you know I am a huge Buckeye fan. Just click this link for some fun pictures. Do you remember the night last week when I snuck down to hide some cookies? I was wearing my favorite scarlet and gray social work sweatshirt, so Tom thought I might like a hat to go with it.

It says, "Be the Change." The motto for the College is
Embrace Difference.
Seek Justice.
Be the Change.
My mom loves that. She says she tries daily to live by that creed.

So here we are. How do you like my new hat? I LOVE it!!! I wore it the rest of the day, even to music therapy with Bonnie.

Soon it was time for Tom to go back to Columbus. Before he left he showed me some really neat pictures on his phone. I really liked him. I am going to have to go visit him soon. That means we will get to shop at the quilt stores in Columbus again. I had fun when we did that last spring. My mom especially likes to visit the Glass Thimble. It brings back lots of memories for her while she was working on her graduate degree in social work and teaching quilting at the battered women's shelter.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Love the hat & the creed.

Brighton said...

What a wonderful saying : o )

Sabrina said...

Cool hat, Sarah! The school's motto is excellent - and so very true.

Penny said...

You two are nothing short of amazing. Love the entire story. Your life that is. Both you Sarah and your Mom.

Lisa said...

I love that motto too! It fits perfectly with our church's theme for 2011: Do Justice, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly." Both have great words to live by! Miss you dollface ;)

Carol N. said...

Sarah - you are inspiring!

So is your mom :o)

starrlife said...

Sarah honey- You are the change for sure! I just think that is so cool but of course being a Social Worker myself it's extra cool!

Tom Gregoire said...

Hi Sarah - Getting to meet you was the best part of my day. Glad you like the hat, its a great look. Hope to see you soon.
Tom Gregoire