My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, December 17, 2010

My Visit to Apply for Medicaid

Today we got up early to go back to the same place we went yesterday. My mom was feeling much better about it today. I could tell because she was singing in the car while she was driving.

The security guards remembered us so they let us come right through even though my mom was buzzing again.

I was really happy when I discovered there was no one in the line today. We walked right up to the window. The same lady was there and she said, "Hi Sarah, I'm glad you came back today."

We sat down for a minute and then a really nice woman came out to get us. Her name is Adrienne and she will be my case manager. I really liked her a lot. So did my mom.

We went back to her desk and she asked me some questions. I had most of the answers which really surprised her and my mom. They both told me I am a really smart girl. Then I got to coughing so Adrienne got me some water. She was really nice. I had to sign a few forms.

And then I got to sign my name on this neat little pad. As I was writing, my name appeared on the computer screen. I thought that was pretty cool.
Before we left, I got approved for Medicaid with no spend down. Adrienne said that was good. My mom said it will help pay for my doctor visits and my asthma medicine.
That was easy. We were only there about one hour. That leaves time for lunch before we had to go back to the store. Oh do you wonder who was watching the store? My dad and brother. They are learning to cut fabric. Can you believe it.

12 comments:

Lacey said...

Yeah for good medicaid news, thats always good!

Adelaide Dupont said...

I wasn't surprised you had most of the answers.

And it's great to see the fabric cutting from the guys.

Adrienne seems fantastic.

Best wishes.

Kristin said...

Great news. I think we need a picture of the boys "holding down the fort" :)

hollyctr said...

I'm so glad it went well! I have not been treated as nicely when I've had to go to that building. I am thrilled that wasn't the case for you! Congrats! The Sisters said your Dad did an awesome job keeping down the fort!

Emily said...

Thank you for your point-of-view on the process, Sarah!

Rochelle said...

Yeah for answered prayers on a great visit!

Cindy said...

Glad it went well for you today Sarah. Beth just got a letter in the mail telling her Medicaid will no longer pay for vision or dental.... the mayor of Washington is cutting benefits because the people of Washington said, 'No more taxes!' So this is her answer....

Cindy said...

(Sorry, it's not the Mayor making these changes in WA State, it's the Govenor.)

Sabrina said...

I am SO glad to hear that things went well for you today! It's always nice to have a good day, right?

How did your dad and brother mind running the store while you and your mom were gone? The thought of guys being in charge of a fabric store kind of makes me giggle! =)

starrlife said...

Oh I feel much better- I was all worried about it! Great job Sarah! (and Mom)

Shelly Turpin said...

Grateful y'all will have that for Sarah

Claire said...

Hello Sarah,

Well done for showing how clever and capable you are! I'm glad you got medicaid so easily. I'm happy I live in the UK - all medical care is free here.

Here's a project I think you and your friends and family will love. http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/

It is to make special scarves for everyone involved in the World Winter Special Olympics. Every year people make scarves in matching colours and everyone wears them whilst they are there. How cool is that? This year the colours are blue and turquoise. Red Heart Super Saver 886 Blue and Red Heart Super Saver 512 Turqua Maybe you can sell the yarn in your shop?

Love

Claire