My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Making a Wreath

Today, I am going to show you how to make the wreath from my last post.

First, you start with a pile of pretty fabric. We used 12 Days of Christmas by Kate Spain. My mom cuts a 2 1/2" strip the entire width of each fabric. Or you could use a jelly roll which is already 2 1/2" wide. We sell those in the store.

Then Sari presses them flat with the iron. She loves to use the iron.

While Sari is ironing, I am picking up the fuzzies left behind from the cutting. My mom uses a pinking blade on the rotary cutter to make the edges cute, but it leaves behind lots of little threads.

Look at all these fuzzies.

After Sari is done pressing the strip, I go over to get it. Then my mom cuts it into a piece 6 1/2" long.

Then I sort them into piles. Now they are 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" in size.

Next Sari folds them in half the long length.

Then she presses it flat. She has to be very careful to not burn her fingers.

Once she has a bunch pressed, she brings them over to me at the counter.

That's when I tie each strip onto a metal frame.

I have to be sure to pull each one tight so it does not fall off. Once the wreath is full I twist the ties so they are all facing toward the front.

And then it is done. If you would like to see it on the wall click HERE.

4 comments:

BigBearswife said...

very cute! i love the wreath!

Tiffany said...

I think I'm going to have to make one of those!

EN said...

Oh Sarah - that is fantastic! So creative! You one talented young lady.

Kristin said...

So cute! Even I could do something like that :)