My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Text Message from God

by Joyce...last evening we had plans. Well established plans involving a host of people. John and TJ were in Columbus all day for a meeting with a client. Matt had a soccer game in Lodi(about one hour south of Cleveland heading to Columbus) on Saturday. So after the store closed at 5:00, the logistics were to play out like this...Sarah and I would drive Matt to Canton to my parents house where he would spend the night and then they would drive him to Lodi for his game. John would leave Columbus on Saturday morning in time to arrive at the game and then bring Matt home. When I arrived home Matt and Sarah were ready to go.


I decided I best check the email one last time to make sure there were no game change announcements. Good thing I did. There was a reminder that the facility the game was at had an indoor shoes only turf, meaning no cleats. I knew before I asked that Matt's indoor shoes were too small. So I suggested we stop at Dick's Sporting Goods on the way out of town.


As we walked into the store, Sarah spotted the new set up of NorthFace coats. We had already talked about getting a new one this year, so Matt headed back to the shoe department and Sarah started trying on coats. She found one she liked and I then started pulling matching hats for her to try-on. As we were trying them, one fell on the floor. I immediately bent down to pick it up. As I quickly rose back to a standing position, the store began to spin. I have had this problem for years. I have low blood pressure, not a bad thing necessarily, but if you stand up too quickly it can throw your equilibrium off base. Usually it fades away after a short amount of time, so I did not think to much about it.


After paying for our stuff, we headed for the freeway. No sooner did I accelerate on the ramp, when I recognized my head was still spinning. Not good. But as much as I wanted to get off at the next exit, our logistics were tight. As a mom, I certainly did not want to disappoint Matt or his team by not getting him to the game. John and TJ were three hours away and the closest player on Matt's team is an hour away. So I pressed on.


The next exit came up. My head told me to get off. I did not. I decided I better tell Matt how I was feeling, just in case I passed out. We went over a plan in case he had to take over the wheel. But what about Sarah. It is totally not wise for me to be in the car alone with her not feeling well. So I said a little prayer..."Dear God, Please help guide me and the kids safely to Canton." Almost within an instant, Matt opened his cell phone to read an incoming text message.

Nothing out of the ordinary for him. That's how his generation communicates. As I looked forward, the road I knew to be straight and solid was looking like a swinging bridge. Trying to keep my mind off my dizziness, I asked Matt who he was texting. He told me it was Chris L. a former soccer teammate. Chris had just heard that the team he plays for now would be playing Matt's team in Lodi on Saturday. "Oh that's nice," I said. "You have not seen Chris for a long time." And in that exact instant, I knew who that message was from. It was my guardian angel telling me to get off at the next exit. You see, Chris lives right around the corner from us. His family could get Matt to Lodi in the morning.

As I turned the car around and headed back north, I had to smile. I said to Matt, "Hey, it looks like God knows how to send text messages now." His reply, "He's always watching out for us Mom."

8 comments:

stephanie said...

Quick thinking on God's part!!! and good listening on yours!!!! Glad it worked out safely!

Rochelle said...

I love how God is in all the details. Glad you were all ok.

hollyctr said...

Wonderful story! I'm so glad nothing bad happened. What a blessing for texting!

Kristen's mom said...

It sounds to me like you need to rest. I don't know of anyone who is busier than you, Joyce. Hey. It's Sunday, You and Sarah both should stay in your pajamas all day and watch movies in your bed. Get some hot chocolate and relax, maybe you could watch "It's a Wonderful Life." It looks like the high in Cleveland today is 54 and a 30% chance of showers, a perfect day to stay in pajamas.

Lisa said...

it never ceases to amaze me that everytime we turn our life over to Him, He comes through :)

The VW's said...

This post put a big smile on my face!

Shelly Turpin said...

Wow - what a blessing. Glad you are OK.

Karen said...

God is amazing. He cares about every detail.