My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sad Night for Our Playground of Possibilities

by Joyce...Over the years our family has spent many hours at Bexley Park. Sarah loved her playgrounds. Hanging from the monkey bars was her claim to fame. A few years back a group of citizens had an idea...to build a new playground at Bexley. A playground accessible for everyone. They named it the Playground of Possibilities. It took a few years to raise the $250,000 needed. Then the fun began. Volunteers of all ages participated in building the awesome structure.

It was a great place for all kids to enjoy. Cleverly designed ramps made all areas accessible. Around the outside was a fence. Each of our kids had a board with their name engraved in it. It was a birthday present to each of them a few years ago. I kept meaning to take them up there to take pictures. I never did. And now it is too late.

Tonight, the South Euclid Playground of Possibilities caught fire. I know there are many very sad friends in the area. So many worked so hard to raise the money and build the structure. It just doesn't seem right.

It was an intense fire. Flames could be seen from miles around. I wonder what happened? I sure hate to think that someone purposely set this fire. I'm sure the investigators will find the cause.

Later this evening, I had to go see for myself. The smell was horrendous. The sight even worse. It's hard to see something that so many kids enjoyed end this way. I have a good friend who lives a block from the park. We sat in her family room reminiscing. All we have left now are the memories.
(some photos from the Plain Dealer website)

18 comments:

Kristen's mom said...

Oh no. That is terrible. I hope it wasn't set on purpose.

Kristin said...

OH, how sad.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Indeed it is tragic.

A playground in my own area has been burnt as well.

All these people's hard work turns into a conflagaration.

stephanie said...

Oh that is a shame!!!!

I don't want to think it was set on purpose!

Cammie Heflin said...

That is awful! I truly hope it was an accident, I would hate to think that someone wouldn't take a playground away from precious kids.

jjpsmommy07 said...

What a beautiful park, so sad to see that its destroyed forever. I really hope it wasn't arson.

Mary said...

How awful!

my family said...

oh this is so upsetting

Becca said...

Oh, this is so sad!! How awful. I also hope it wasn't set on purpose.

The VW's said...

How very sad! :(

Rochelle said...

That is heartbreaking.

JRS said...

Not to be a negative nellie, but I can't think of any other way that a playground would catch fire than by arson. Maybe a kid was playing with matches and didn't mean to burn it down. Will watch to see what you find out. I wonder if parks like this have insurance to rebuild? What a shame.
---Jen

hollyctr said...

We are so devistated! My children LOVE that park! This is a big loss for our community. Good memories indeed.

heidi marie said...

how horrible...

Sabrina said...

Oh, Joyce, that's just horrible! Playgrounds such as this are a beautiful thing, and to see it go up in flames is devastating. I hope that it can be rebuilt so that it can continue to bring joy to children of all abilities in the area.

Michelle said...

I am so sorry you had to see that! You will have the memories to hold onto forever but so sorry to see such a happy place destroyed!

Lisa said...

I just saw this story on the news...i couldnt believe it was our playground!!

Brandie said...

How terrible. Maybe someone was burning leaves and the fire got out of hand?