My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Cutest Customer Connections

by Joyce...to read the beginning of this story, click HERE.

...As soon as Lily told me who her school principal was, I ran upstairs to get Sarah. I truly believe connections like this happen for a reason. After I asked Sarah to come downstairs to meet a new customer, I went back down to talk to Lily. For some reason, I felt like I needed to prepare her a little. She is afterall, only seven years old. I got down on my knees so I was at her eye level and told her that my daughter had Down syndrome. I asked her if she knew what that was. She did not, so I simply told her that it sometimes takes Sarah a little longer to understand things. "OK,"she replied. Within seconds, Sarah walked into the store. Lily simply put her hand out to shake Sarah's and said, "Hi, my name is Lily." My heart swelled. That's Sarah's line. How did Lily know that? Sarah, replied, "Hi, my name is Sarah."

And then they just started talking like two girls hanging out in a fabric store. They talked about Mrs. B. too. I told Lily about all the wonderful things that Mrs. B did for Sarah.

Every student deserves at least one Mrs. B. in their schooling years. She was an amazing teacher the two years that TJ had her. So I was thrilled when they placed Sarah in her room for third grade. But I had no idea when school began how dear Mrs. B would become to us. Shortly after school started, Sarah became ill. She ended up spending most of October, November and December in the hospital. As Sarah's body grew weaker and weaker, the doctors at the Cleveland Clinic were loosing hope. Mrs. B. had the challenge of keeping Sarah's classmates informed of her deteriorating condition without frightening them. She lead the efforts of having the class frequently make get well cards and then she would deliver them to Sarah. Most important, Mrs. B never gave up on Sarah.


When Sarah was able to get to school, even for just a few hours a day, Mrs. B. would make sure she was fully included in whatever the class was doing. Then when Sarah's doctor decided to try giving Sarah monthly infusions of IvIg, Mrs. B suggested that we take pictures to help the class understand what she was going through. We blogged about that HERE. Without a doubt, Mrs. B shaped the positive relationship that Sarah had with her classmates from that point on. Sadly, we lost track of Mrs. B because another school district several communities south, hired her as a principal.

That is, until Lily came into our store. Before Lily and her grandma left the store I quickly wrote a little note to Mrs. B. I included a copy of the article that appeared in the paper about the store opening. I asked Lily to deliver the note to her principal.

This weekend we had a comment left on the store's website: Dear Joyce and Sarah, Thanks for the great note. I was so happy to hear of your new venture. Sarah you are still beautiful. I read your blog...I will stop and visit your new house of fabric soon. Mrs. B.

Tears of joy here. Truly By Design. Thank you Lily for being our connector. And thank you Edna for bringing your precious granddaughter to meet us. We hope to see you again soon.

10 comments:

motherofangels said...

Wanted you to know that the traveling aphgan is at our house and we are looking at your pictures!! Macy is so lucky to be able to walk in your footsteps :)

Mary Miller said...

Just beautiful! Further evidence that there is no such thing as coincidence!

Sabrina said...

What a fantastic story! That is truly God at work if I do say so myself. God bless you Joyce, Sarah, Edna and little Lily...and of course Mrs. B! =)

Rochelle said...

That is a wonderful connection. I love how God brings people in and out of our lives. Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany said...

I love that story.

Lisa said...

she truly was such a special teacher to kelly as well!! through work i often come across patients who have her as their principal...they love her!!

Cindy said...

Incredible story! It's a small world, isn't it? Glad you were able to reconnect with Mrs. B!

Edna said...

Dear Sarah,
It was fun meeting you and thanks for letting me have a picture with you. I had a fun time with you. I hope you have a happy holiday.
Love,
Lily

Angi B said...

I can only hope that my little one will have such an amazing experience. Love to your family!

patsy said...

wonderful story!!