My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Memories and Loss

by Joyce...Halloween...so many memories of my kiddos over the years. The costumes. The parades at school. Carving pumpkins. My father driving to Cleveland to take his grandkids out trick or treating. The music I always play as the neighborhood kids come to the front door. The dumping of candy on the family room floor at the end of the night, everyone grabbing for their favorites. Such fun and wonderful memories.

Yet today, I have been in a rather melancholy mood. I can't stop thinking of our dear blogging friends who are waiting out the day. Simply trying to put one foot in front of the other. Doing whatever they can to pass the time and attempt to ease the pain. Memories are all they have now of their precious girls...

Sweet Carly last Halloween.

Precious Kristen in 1989.

What it must be for a mom to live with the terrible loss of a child. Then add the extra care they had given to their girls with Down syndrome. I can only imagine how their hearts are broken. Each holiday a painful reminder that 2009 was the last, yet at the time they did not know it.

It has been so enjoyable to read all the posts for the 31 for 21 campaign. As we bring that effort to a close this year, please let's say an extra prayer for Joany, Polly and Karol (mom to Laynee). Please visit their blogs and let them know you are thinking of them. And in loving memory of their girls, give your loved ones an extra hug tonight.

10 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

Oh Joyce, this has brought me to tears. Thank you for thinking of us as we begin the Holiday season without our sweet girl. My blogging buds are the very, very best!

Today was a very low key day for me. I putted around the house doing my thing.

Paul worked today and his day was a bit too exciting. & not in a good way. He almost lost one of his crew to a horrible work accident this afternoon. He came home a absolute wreck. Sept., '09 he lost one of his 'guy's' to a work accident. Then we lost Carly in April and today, he witnessed a guy on his crew fall through a glass roof down several stories. Thankfully, this guy had a safety harness on. He was injured, but is alive.

Knowing people like you care so much for our family and for Kristen and Laynee's family during this awful devastating time in all of our lives, is very comforting to us.

Again, thank you Joyce.
Joany

heather said...

What a beautiful reminder. I can only imagine the hurt and pain of their loss. I really do think our kids with an extra chromosome carry a special place in our heart, maybe a little extra room in our heart. There is such a special, amazing bond. And I think a lot of that comes from all of the sacrifice and devotion it takes to help them reach their potential. I love all of these families and am always thinking of them.

Patti said...

Joyce, thank you so much for this reminder. It just gripped my heart. I simply cannot imagine what these precious mommies are going through. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Yes.

So appropriate for the last day of 31 for 21.

We have lost a lot of people in our community.

Shows you how very important occupational health and safety really is!

(Hope you will observe the guidelines in the Sewcial Lounge!)

The VW's said...

I've been thinking of these Mommas a lot too.....I can't even imagine! Thanks for thinking of them, and for being a friend to them! Hugs!!

Shawndi84 said...

Always love your posts.
Thank you for the reminder Joyce. We will definitely keep these families in our prayers.

Tracy said...

What a sweet and thoughtful post, I will indeed keep these families in my prayers. It will be a very difficult holiday season for them.

JennyH said...

Awe. I agree.... It has to be so hard for them. Those pictures are precious memories.

The Munck Family said...

Aw...my heart breaks for their families! I think of Carly often, and pray for Joany and Paul that God may give them comfort.

What a wonderful post!

Kristen's mom said...

Joyce, You are so nice to think of us. I am glad we all found each other. What a source of strength you have all been to me. Thank You.