My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Birth Story...Revisited...Again...

and again. and again. and again. by Joyce


(photo lifted from Kelle's blog - just one of several thousand similarly stunning pics)

Sarah and I have been so busy with our new fabric store that we have not had much time for blogging lately. Yet, there are a few that I must check every night before I go to bed.

Kelle Hampton over at Enjoying the Small Things is one of them. She is trendy adorable. A crazy, zany, free spirited gal. An even funner (and she would use that word if she wanted to) mom. She lives in a gorgeous home in Naples, Florida yet loves to wonder off to the Isles of Capri. Her husband is a handsome dude (one of her favorite words) and her father, well he is equally as handsome, yet what matters more is his writing. His words are poetic, spiritual, and inspiring. And we haven't even gotten to her two little girls yet. They are beauty queens for sure.

She captured the blogging world, in the first few days of Nella's existence here on earth. She shares simply breathtaking photos with descriptive words so beautiful they melt your heart. She quickly was making appearances on talk shows, radio events, spoke at the recent Down Syndrome Conference in Orlando. And just recently, she let us in on a little secret. She has a story in the October issue of Parenting Magazine. It has been a long time since I have read a parenting magazine. Yet, tonight I pushed the shopping cart down the magazine aisle and there it was.

So I stopped to read it. And just like Kelle, I too stood in the aisle of the store with tears streaming down my checks. I have nothing in common with Kelle really. She is ying, where I am yang. She is spontaneous, where I am strategic. She strolled NYC in red cowboy boots. I wore black flats. She loves the sand between her toes. I can't wait to wash it off. She lives in a tropical paradise. I live in the midwest rust belt. She wears bikinis to the beach. I never did. She is young, where I am...not. But we share one very common thread. One very important connection...that makes us so very. much. alike. The birth story.

So when I read her words, they were my words. Her story is so new. Mine is not new at all. We have been living with that extra chromosome for twenty one years. For two plus decades. That is a long time. Yet, when I hear someone recount those first few hours, first few days, first few weeks, I relive all the emotions like it was happening to me all over again. My heart suddenly feels heavy again. I want to reach out, yet everything seems to be going in slow motion. I silently weep as they weep.

One of Kelle's friends snapped a photo on the day of Nella's birth that is one of the best I have ever seen at capturing the moment. There lays Kelle in her hospital bed, having just recognized that her newborn baby girl carries that extra chromosome, yet no on else in the room does. It is that exact moment, that shared set of mixed emotions, that makes us soul sisters. There is no one else who understands that set of feelings. No one else can claim experience. No one but us moms who have given birth to a child with three twenty ones. A trisomy. And for that, we are so much alike. Thank you Kelle and family for sharing your story.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I read that article. And read it again to Mike. Touching and breaking. I couldn't stop thinking of that moment when she looked at her baby for the first time and felt like she was not the baby she "knew". Oh my heart broke for that mama in that moment. I myself had 17 weeks to prepare for the adjustment of the child that would come into our lives. And those 17 weeks in one sense prepared me so that on the day Cayman was born it was not so shocking and adjusting. I was ready...ready to meet my little Hydrocephalic Cayman.

Cindy said...

Joyce, you said it perfectly. I am honored to be in this 'club' with such amazing women.

I haven't read Kelle's article yet but I will look for it.

Patti said...

I just looked over at your sidebar and saw my darling Lily there- thank you so much for putting her bloglink on yours, we are so honored! I feel like I'm really part of the club now, how sweet is that?!
I love Kelle's blog, and I could relate so much to her birth story. Lily was born just a few days before Nella, so I went searching online in February, trying to find someone to relate to. I know so many feel the same way- I felt like I was reading my own story in hers.
I love coming here all the time too, because it gives me HOPE for what Lily's future could be.
Thank you SO MUCH for your beautiful blog- I think you are a rock star too;)

The Hapa Girl said...

Joyce,
I enjoy your words just as much as I do Kelle's! Before she came along, you were my inspiration...just like a lot of the other bloggers out there.

Thank you!

Arizona mom to eight said...

I have not read the article, but I follow their blog, I adore her zaniness and the pictures are gorgeous!

Her birth story brought back poignant memories for me. I was also the first person to see that our Meghan had Down syndrome. The happiness twinged with sorrow.

Wow, that was almost 10 years ago. I am also so grateful to be in this "club"

patsy said...

joyce...your words are beautiful. you and sarah provide such hope for myself and my maggie rae. my birth story is also so similar to kelle's...hearts heavy with fear of the unknown that quickly turned to the most amazing love. i feel truly blessed to be part of such an amazing group of moms that i feel like i know because of our sweet angels.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Wonderful.

Birth stories do make soul sisters, and it is an enormous family.

Somewhere in my 31 for 21 travels, I found this document called What I wish I had known.

heather said...

You are such a great writer too. Love your blog and I have to agree with all of the previous commenters . . . Your blog gives me hope. Sarah is an amazing, beautiful woman who also happens to have Down syndrome.