My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sharp Blades and Blood

I woke up bright and early today to go to work. My mom told me it would be a big day for me. She was going to let me cut fabric. First, she told me I had to be very, very, very careful because sharp blades can cut fingers and then there would be blood on the fabric. That would not be good.

We practiced where to place my hands. And then I started to cut.

I did a really good job. I stayed on the edge just like we practiced.

Once my cut was done, I picked up the fabric and started to fold it.

I have to match the corners...

...and then match them again.

one more fold and then it's ready for the customer. I think I did a good job. My mom told me I am never allowed to use the rotary cutter unless she is with me. I think that is a good idea because that blade is sharp...

8 comments:

Mel said...

Great job Sarah. Those things are very sharp.

Karen said...

Good job - I'll bet you rock at folding towels, too.

To Love Endlessly said...

awesome job Sarah! I'm scared to use a rotary cutter myself so kudos to you for being brave. ;-)

Christy said...

I just love the look of concentration on your face. I can't wait to learn how to quilt... and then I have to book a holiday to America... and then I'm definitely coming to your shop!

Rochelle said...

I don't even know what a rotary cutter is but, it sounds dangerous. Great job!
I hope business is great at the shop!

Cammie Heflin said...

Way to go Sarah! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived near you Sarah, so I could go to your store. I love to sew. What's your favorite part of your job?

Mary in PA

Mary said...

Great job! I love the fabric!