My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Open Trach Stoma

By Joyce: Another great question came into our email today. "In the new picture on your blog it looks like Sarah still has her trach opening but she is not using a cannula. Can you do this?" The quick answer: ONLY UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!

Great observation. Yes in fact, Sarah indeed does still have her trach stoma (opening). Looking at the photos myself, I can see that this was a good July for her. The stomas is very clear, void of scratch marks and reddening which was not the norm for her. She was originally trached in May 1990. These photos were taken in July 1994. Her doctor decided it was time to see if she could possibly go without the trach, so we removed the cannula for a few hours each afternoon. She did great during the day. So we tried it at night. Not good. Her airway would collapse and of course then her oxygen saturations would plummet. So she kept her trach for a few more years.
.
p.s. The two additional children are John's cousins Adam and Karen who live in Florida so we do not see them to often. That year as soon as I heard they were coming in for the fourth I quickly whipped up some matching outfits.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sarah,
I LOVE seeing all of your mom's holiday outfits!! WOW, she has a terrific talent!