My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Will She Live Long Enough

Twenty Years Ago Today...by Joyce

It was the weekend. I so looked forward to them so I would be able to spend more time with TJ and Sarah. My parents often came up on Saturdays to spend time with their Grandbabies. On this visit, my mom brought my Girl Scout sash and hat along with my handbooks. You may recall the day I recently wrote about describing when I found Sarah blue in her crib. I performed rescue breathing that afternoon until the paramedics arrived recalling a first aid class that I had taken as a Girl Scout. I thumbed to the page in the Junior handbook that illustrated rescue breathing. It was exactly as my memory had recalled.

Sarah had only been home for a little more than two weeks after her trach was placed and already we had been back to the hospital once due to plummeting oxygen saturations. It was becoming more and more evident that we were dealing with a much larger health issue than we wanted to acknowledge. Somehow I believe we thought once the trach was in place we were going to live happily ever after. Now, I was beginning to question that. I was starting to see that we just needed to be thankful for each morning that she woke up.

So I carefully laid my sash and hat on her. I made a toast to our "Future Girl Scout." In my head, I was already planning the fun things we would do. Learning the Promise together, singing Girl Scout songs, field trips to police stations, making s'mores while camping. From my heart, I prayed that she would live long enough to be a Girl Scout.

5 comments:

To Love Endlessly said...

and live she has!

Catherine Rose said...

hi, i just wanted to say that the green dress you are wearing in the picture to the left is beautiful! i look amazing! you actually look a lot like me :D

Catherine Rose said...

* i mean, YOU look amazing!

Kellan's momma said...

Sarah, I love the pic in the brown swim/tank top=you are gorgeous!! And your baby pic--you can certainly tell it's you!!!
Christina

kara said...

The timing of this is amazing and so encouraging to me as I sit in the hospital right now with my 9 month old, Henry, who is fighting for his life. He is on an oscillator and has a raging infection in his lungs. To see your beautiful Sarah and know that in 20 years I could be writing a post such as this brings me great comfort. Please pray for him.

Kara
http://www.threelittlekings.blogspot.com