My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Would You Punch Over It?

from Joyce: the Down syndrome world is a buzz over last nights airing of "What would you Do?" (it's posted below if you have not seen it) People are leaving comments on many websites. One that I keep reading over and over is, "I would punch the guy..." Well, let's not forget the story of the loving brother who did punch the bully for continually calling his girlfriend a "r#tard." And let's also not forget that he ended up being charged with assault in the first degree. Yes, we do need to stand up to bullying behavior, yet please, let's just use our words.

FYI, Matt's sentencing hearing is this coming Tuesday, May 25th. We'll let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

Mama Mason-Mann said...

Good luck to him. I can only imagine how horrible it was for him to be pushed that far! That's just not right. People have their limits and when they get pushed too far they break. I hope the best for you son!!!

Beth said...

I was thinking of Matt when I was watching the ABC show, wondering what he thought of it.

Wishing him (and all of you) well at the hearing.

Lacey said...

I agree, if you punch someone your no better than them too! Matt is a young boy, and sometimes thats what they do when they feel strongly about something. But I know he learned his lesson. Praying Tuesday goes well.

Becca said...

Oh my gosh, I hadn't read that post about Matt. All I can say is Wow. It brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful post.

Good luck, Matt!

blogzilly said...

I'd have a hard time containing my rage, but that's today. I'm full of so much anger it's hard to fully explain it.

Though maybe after some time living with all of this un-resolved emotion I would react with just words, my instinct TODAY in that particular circumstance as shown in the video would probably have me ending up charged with a crime.

Rochelle said...

Totally agree with you Joyce. Standing up with words is the only way.
I wondered if Matt had gone back for sentencing yet. We will be praying for you all on Tuesday.

To Love Endlessly said...

I'll be praying for him. I hope he gets a good judge.