My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

We're Off to a Great Start

So my mom has been telling me about this big event we are going to do for our new quilt store. It is a business expo put on by the chamber of commerce in our area. We have been practicing what I need to do for a few weeks. We have been sewing like crazy and she has been telling all her friends about it. She even told my job coaches all about it. But there was one tiny detail she forgot to mention...It is in the same ballroom where my high school prom was. How could she forget to tell me that. So I let her have it when I came in, "Mom, why didn't you tell me...Prom...remember?!!?

My dad thought that was so funny. Do you see how I am walking straight in from the big doors? That is because our table was exactly where the wide corridor ended. It was a perfect location. I had to get to work saying hello to people.

So I took my position. That lady on the right is Jane. She is a city council member. She was very nice. If you look really close you can see I have cards in my hand. I gave one to each person that came by. It tells all about our shop and that it is going to be opening in August.

Then all of a sudden I looked up and there was my grandma and grandpa. I did not know they were coming. It was a surprise. I like when they do that. My dad tried to get me to go out to dinner with them, but I said I had to stay to help with the table. They understood. My grandpa said he was very proud of what I was doing.

So here we are...Joyce Ellen and Sarah Ellen. Oh if my grandma was in this picture, there would be another one, Elizabeth Ellen. So we all have a connection to our store name. It got chilly for awhile, so I had to put my jacket back on. It covered up my apron a little. Hmm...do you see another match ?

I told a lot of people about our opening and that someone very, very special is going to be there. And...it is going to be on my 21st birthday!!! That is pretty exciting. About this time, my dad asked me if I was hungry because there was a room set up for just the exhibitors - that's me - and inside was a buffet from Costco, one of the event sponsors. I had pizza, a wrap and carrots with dip. It was yummy. By the end of the night, my feet were aching from standing up so much.

We took one last picture of our table before we had to take it down. Everybody loved it. Do you see that yellow sign on the very left. It is pretty important to us. My mom shared it with many people she talked to. There are some local newspapers and magazines interested in doing a story on us. And a television station too. You should be able to click on the picture to read it. If not, here is what it says:
.
JEllen's house of fabric
Our Mission
To provide competitive employment in an entrepreneurial setting for young adults with Down syndrome and other developmental disabilities.
Our Vision
To create a destination quilt boutique and "sew"cial lounge featuring high quality fabrics, patterns and notions and stitching instruction as well as a comfortable gathering place for creative souls.
Our Desire
To provide friendly and competent customer service. We welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver the best experience in the fabric and sewing industry.

20 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

This is so incredibly awesome! I wish I lived closer so I could take sewing classes. I love, love, LOVE your apron!

Kristen's mom said...

WOW! What a couple of talented girls you and your mother are! If I ever make it to Lyndhurst, the first place I am going to is your shop.

Rochelle said...

So happy for a successful day for you both! What a great adventure to be on together. Best of luck to you both.

Cammie Heflin said...

Awesome! So wonderful that you girls get to work together, so much fun!

Amy L said...

Amazing! I knew there would be no sheltered workshop in Sarah's future! She's on to big and better things! Congratulations!!!
Amy

Karen said...

I think what you're doing is awesome. I wish you the best of luck in getting your new business off the ground!

Lianna said...

Congratulations!!! How exciting!!! I'm an Amy Butler fan -- love her fabrics. I also love Betz White's fabrics too.

Joyce, I'm so proud of you! Sarah, you never cease to amaze me with your spirit and drive!

Can't wait to learn more and hear more about upcoming media coverage, too!

Bonnie said...

Sarah Ellen you look fantastic! Way to GO girl! I'm sure your mom is so happy to have your help with the new business. The display looks A-mazing. Glad you got all the sewing done Joyce! :) Can't wait to read more about the business in the paper and hopefully on TV!!! :)

Jill said...

How exciting! Wishing you much success and fun, fun, FUN!! Whoo-Hooo!!

Lisa said...

I am loving this. LOVE IT!! I will need a personal invite to the store when it opens :). You can scout out my two future employees :)!

Beverly said...

so awesome. love this. congrats

Cindy said...

I am so excited for you two! Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Heather said...

I am so beyond excited for you all and so beyond proud of you both!!

You look beautiful Sarah.As always.You never cease to amaze and inspire me and the little love!

Pallavi said...

Wow Sarah, that sounds GREAT
Wish you all the very best.
And were looking very cute in that apron.

Loren Stow said...

Well done!
It sounds like it was a fantastic success!
I hope that the store becomes a place where souls can meet to learn, share and inspire!

The VW's said...

This is awesome Sarah! You and your Mom are two incredible ladies! Hugs!

Tiffany said...

This is so wonderful. I love reading about it and seeing your happy face!

Becca said...

What a great event! I'm glad it all went so well, and hope it really brings in lots of business for you! Btw, I love the pattern on your apron and the table cloth - very pretty!

sheree said...

Sarah and Joyce,

This is SO exciting! Congratulations to you both...what an incredible thing you are doing! I wish you nothing but success and happiness!

JennyH said...

That is so exciting!! Good luck to all of you on this adventure.