My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The 5 Block Critical Care Transport

Twenty Years Ago...by Joyce

I goggled "pediatric critical care ambulance" today. It seems there are many cities across the country acquiring these vehicles. Some mention the cost around $56,000 upwards to $72,000. So I guess our bill for $2,100 back in 1990 wasn't so terribly awful. Not until you think about the fact that we only had to travel five blocks and only because hospital A kicked us out when they discovered they did not have a contract with our insurance carrier.

Back to the story from yesterday. The awesome crew in the decked out ambulance transported us to the emergency room doors of the Cleveland Clinic. For some reason I thought we would go straight up to the pediatric intensive care unit. Oh no...we had to go through ER intake all over again. This time, as I was describing Sarah's medical history, diagnoses and important numbers were just rolling off my tongue. I described the artificial respiration I had performed being sure to articulate that I did not do CPR. This time the doctor was quite impressed that I knew the difference. I failed to mention that my mind had actually gone back in time, nineteen years in fact, to get it accomplished.

The doctor did a few surface checks and then agreed that Sarah needed to go up to the PICU. As the transport team took us through the underground corridors, I had a strange sensation of comfort. I recognized that I did not want to be here, I was worried sick about Sarah, but at the same time these halls were familiar to me. I had been navigating them for the past two and half months. The Cleveland Clinic in all it's vastness had become our home away from home. When we turned the corner to the unit, many familiar faces surfaced. With some, I embraced. They had become family to us. And now we were back. It felt almost like an annual reunion.

While they were getting Sarah settled, I went down to the family lounge to call John. He was home with TJ trying to keep the little guys life as normal as possible. I really did not have anything new to report other than the room number. I did mention that the ER Doc had mentioned that he thought this was a heart related issue, but the PICU Doc seemed to think it was a pulmonary issue. Neither John nor I knew enough about either to have an opinion one way or another...

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

In some ways it must have been Sarah's second home - and yours.