My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

With this ring...

This is my mom's hand. Do you notice anything missing...

...her wedding rings. And I am NOT happy about it. I have been asking her everyday where are they. She told me they are in a little dish in the living room. She took them off the day we were making the eggs because the Mod Podge was so sticky. I keep reminding her, but she doesn't put them back on.

So last night I went into the living room and found them right where she said they were.

And I put them on her finger. First her anniversary band, my dad gave that to her for their 10 year celebration:)

Then her engagement ring. My dad gave that one to her in March of 1986. That's when she said, "Sarah, with this ring"...and then we started cracking up. I feel better now that she has her rings back on her hand.
.
A little note from Joyce...
I never would have known that my wedding rings were so important to Sarah. To me, it is one more tiny reminder of never selling her short. Never taking for granted that just because she has Down syndrome, she doesn't feel, love, and understand. She certainly does all that and so much more. This is just one more tiny reason why my love grows stronger and stronger for this dear girl with each and every passing day.
Add Image

9 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

This is wonderful.

Wedding rings represent relationships and circles and wholeness.

Tracey said...

That is so sweet! :0)

Rochelle said...

Very sweet, thanks for sharing.

Lacey said...

I have to say Joyce, your an inspiration to me! When we decided to adopt, I was really back and forth about adopting another DS child. I wanted a girl! A girl that I could put in dance and go shopping with. I didn't know if I would get that with a DS girl. But I see you and Sarah, so close, and you have so much fun together! I can't wait to get my baby girl home and take her shopping!

sara p said...

what a wonderful post:) sarah, it made me smile:)

Beverly said...

so, so sweet!

Mel said...

Good thing your mum has you to sort her out isn't it Sarah?!

Tiffany said...

That makes me smile.

Karen said...

That's why I love coming here. You two are both an inspiration to me. Thank you for the honesty that you share here.