My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Hopping Across Central Ohio

My mom and I have been shop hopping across Central Ohio this week. That's what they call going from one quilt store to another, a shop hop. It has been a fun way to spend my spring break. Our first stop was in Chillicothe. It is a cute small town. It was the first capital of Ohio.

There we went to Creations Sew Clever Quilt Shop. Lots of fabric in there. We bought the backing for a quilt my mom started in a class last week with Rita. She is the Goddess, Queen mother of the shop. Seriously, that is what her business card says:) She has owned this store for eighteen years.

The next day we started out at the Glass Thimble. My mom used to shop here when she went to Ohio State. Different people own it now though. We bought a charm pack and a layer cake.
Oh that sun is bright.

Then we drove up High Street through Worthington. That is a cute town too. We went to this cool place called Quilt Trends. I bought a pattern to make a piece of cake. And my mom bought some stuff for the iron.

This is a very new shop with pretty daffodils outside. That is all we could fit into that day, because I was gasping for air it was so hot and the pollen. Hate that pollen.

Today we got up early because we were going to drive a little further. Our first stop was in Grove City. My what a charming store this is.

I found a book I really liked and so I just sat down and started looking at it. When I got to the picture of a belt and matching purse I decided I had to buy it.

We really liked Always in Stitches. Grove City was pretty cute too. My mom said we could come back here in the summer.

Our next visit was in Pataskala. My mom never heard of this little town before. It is way out east of Columbus. The woman that was working today used to work for the State Department of MR/DD. She knew all about Down syndrome and she and my mom got to talking and I thought we would never get out of there. So I went and found some fabric to buy. My mom was blown away at my selections, especially when I told her it was for our Stampin' for America project.

Calico Cupboard was a nice place to visit if you are near Pataskala.

Our last visit was at Quilt Beginnings on Broad Street near Bexley. This time I went in and looked for some more fabric for our project in red and blue. When I went up to the counter I did not even have to ask my mom how much. I just told the lady, "One half yard of each please." She seemed pretty surprised that I knew that, so she asked me if I sew. And I said, "Yes, and I am opening my own store with my mom." So then she and my mom had to start talking too.

One more picture before we leave. There are a lot of quilts in this store. Now I know why my mom and I have been busy sewing every night.

Well it is 5:00 and that is all the quilt stores we can fit into this spring break. If you want to read more about these stores or go to their websites click on http://www.myquiltspree.com/

12 comments:

Beverly said...

seems like such a great time.

Rochelle said...

What a fun spring break. You two have been so busy!

Lacey said...

What fun for you and your mom to go together! I love how close you are!

Mary said...

Well Sarah, we live in Grove City! I've even visited that shop!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Excellent!

You had an audience with the Queen Mother (of Quilts), asked for 2 half-yards and visited many shops.

Hooray.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Just wanted to point out:

What a lot of exploring you have been doing in your own state!

Carol N. said...

Some great research going on, Sarah and Joyce! Love the play-by-play...and can't wait to here more about this exciting venture. Have you chosen a name yet?

Cindy said...

What a great adventure you've had! Thank you for taking us along!

To Love Endlessly said...

that looks like it was so much fun! That's great that you know how much yardage to ask for too. I love the fabrics that you picked out for your projects! good taste, girl. ;-)

Mary C said...

I really enjoyed reading about your shop hop. Looks like you have a lot of nice stores close to home and the fabrics you chose are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I have been following your mother's blog for sometime. I just clicked over here from hers. I am so impressed with your love for quilting Sarah. I wish you much success in your new store. I will be sure to come visit once it is open. Paula

The Munck Family said...

How fun!!! Sounds like a great trip, hope your feeling well.