My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Emergency Surgery...

Twenty Years Ago Today...from Great Grandmother Hillick's journal...

Note: the emergency surgery was a cricoid split. Sarah's airway was continually collapsing from subglotic stenosis so they hoped this might help. It unfortunately did not.

4 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

That certainly was a surgery!

A lot of people older than TJ probably wouldn't understand. You get your sister home, then she has to go back to hospital. Why can't she just play with you the way she did before?

Tiffany said...

This is blogging before the internet...I love this series.

Leah said...

I had no idea Sarah's "issues" were related to her cricoid muscle! Angela will have a cricomyotomy later this summer to help her swallowing problems. The muscle is too tight, and her epiglottis flaps open and closed whenever she eats food. She does aspirate but has somehow, miraculously, managed to keep her airway clear! Amazing that Angela's airway has stayed open the way it has.

blogzilly said...

The journal entries, written by hand, are always a treat to read from the perspective of someone who used to keep a hand written journal for years and years.

I love seeing someone's thoughts from 20 years ago, always amazing to me.