My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Bullpen Gospels

I have a little story for you. A GREAT story really. I have talked a lot about my music therapist Bonnie. She is just the greatest. I have been with her for a long time. One day at one of our share days there was this guy there helping her. He was very handsome. Before you know it, she tells me she is getting married. I was so happy for her. She had the prettiest wedding at a big huge park pretty close to where we have our music sessions.

Bonnie and Dirk looked so amazing. My mom and I made them a card for their wedding and on one side we put music notes and on the other side we put baseballs. Sounds a little odd doesn't it....

Not when you see Dirk in his work uniform:) Yep...he is a pitcher. Now when Bonnie met him he played in the minors. Then one day he got a call...a big call...that put him where he always dreamed of going...Next thing you know...Bonnie was driving to Toronto where Dirk was playing with the Blue Jays.
.
Now back to the beginning of the story. My mom was eager to know a little bit more about Dirk because she is quite fond of Bonnie. So Bonnie told her that Dirk wrote a blog for his hometown newspaper, The Canton Repository. My mom was so excited because that was her hometown newspaper too. She soon discovered that Dirk was an excellent writer and he seemed like a good guy. Then one day he wrote about visiting kids in the hospital and he had a genuine understanding about what that must be like. My mom left him a message that day. She wanted him to know that as someone who has spent a lot of time in the hospital it really does make a difference to have a visitor in a baseball uniform.
.
Well now to the really amazing part of the story. It turns out Dirk is a REALLY awesome writer. As of today...his brand new book...
is # 15 on the New York Times Best Seller List. How cool is that!!!!!!!
.
If you live in the northeast Ohio area...Dirk is having two book signings this weekend:
Friday, April 16 at Borders on the Strip in North Canton from 7 - 9
and
Saturday, April 17 at the Hudson Library from 1-3. That's the one I'm going to. See you Saturday Bonnie and Dirk.
.
Check out Dirk's website: http://www.dirkhayhurst.com/

9 comments:

Cate said...

I heard him interviewed on the radio and thought it sounded like a good book. Will definitely have to get it now!

Bonnie said...

Awww! Joyce, YOU and SARAH are great! Thank you so much for sharing Dirk's book to everybody. Believe it or not, the last chapter of the book takes place at that very special park. ;-) See you this weekend!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Thank you ever so, Sarah!

I may or may not have seen Hayhurst's book before. (Well, it was a sports book, and reflecting more closely, it may have been about gridiron or basketball).

Bonnie, it's great to see you here often. Loved the wedding dress you were in.

Big congratulations to Dirk Hayhurst being in the Blue Jays.

And it's good to see him being so true to his roots and his school.

Mary said...

That is so cool!

Becca said...

What a great story! And I love baseball - I'll have to check that one out.

Tiffany said...

Wow!! Now that is cool.

To Love Endlessly said...

way cool! sure wish I was still in OH. I'd surely come out to his signing.

Adelaide Dupont said...

And now that the signing is coming up sharpish:

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

(Hope he'll draw you a Garfoose in the wild).

Carol N. said...

Such a great story! Love the Blue Jays (I grew up North of Toronto...so I HAVE to root for them!)