My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Where Fiber Meets Down Syndrome

by Joyce: For the past several months, we have had a button on our side roll that we titled "Where Fiber Meets Down Syndrome." It takes you to the official blog for the T21 Traveling Afghan created by CJ Field. The idea was simple, yet brilliant. One afghan that would travel with a journal from one family to another to spread awareness for Down syndrome. Sarah was lucky enough to receive the beautiful afghan last week.

When we were given the shipping instructions for the next person on the list, I was elated. We had been following this blog for sometime. The posts are always beautifully written and so full of love. Sometime around the holiday season, Lisa announced that she and her husband had fallen in love with a baby girl on Reece's Rainbow and would be starting the process of adoption. I was so touched by this gesture and curious to know more about this wonderful family. That evening, I spent a few hours going back to the beginning of Bridget's Light. It is a touching story in so many ways.

So with the afghan staying in Ohio, I thought it might be fun to meet in person. Lisa and I arranged a convenient location near Columbus. I truly did not anticipate how magical the meeting would be.

When we first arrived, Bridget's older sister Sara was holding her. Sarah immediately was smitten with young Bridget.

They hugged and embraced with sweet ease.

Sarah got down to hand Bridget the afghan and I watched as the two shared an undeniable common bond. Several chronological years separate the two, yet they were communicating as though they had been together before.

They interacted like two long lost friends. It was pure magic to watch. I looked at Bridget and saw little Sarah sitting there, and I believe Lisa looked at Sarah and saw a grown up Bridget. It simply made my heart swell.

One quick picture of the four of us before we got in the car to drive back to Cleveland. The entire way home Sarah could not stop talking about Bridget. I think she fell in love. It was such a pleasure to meet beautiful Lisa and her two adorable daughters. I can't think of a better way to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day than this.

16 comments:

Emily said...

Awww... that is wonderful!

Lisa said...

Wow. Those pictures made me teary. So sweet.

Rochelle said...

That is such a great post! You are right what a great way to celebrate the day.

Cheri said...

Oh Joyce and Sarah...how special and how fun!!! Yes, I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate World Down syndrome Day either!

Carol N. said...

Joyce and Sarah - I LOVE when bloggers collide! I follow both blogs too! It makes me so incredibly happy to know the amazingness - the magic - that the blogosphere has created. I know there is a negative side - but this beautiful wonderful side is real and so worth striving for.

Thanks for sharing!

Beverly said...

how wonderful! love that you got to meet.

Kristin said...

Oh that just made me cry - so so sweet.

Adelaide Dupont said...

What a wonderful celebration!

In our week of the Brain, this post and the pictures got to the heart.

I hope Sarah and Bridget are friends for life.

May they flourish!

starrlife said...

That is so great! It is visible how connected they feel and it is very cool! The afghan is a treasure! CJ is incredible isn't she?

Tsquared417 said...

My mascara is wrecked!! So beautiful.

Lori said...

I agree -- perfect! I can't wait for our turn with the afghan! =)

stephanie said...

That was the absolute best way to celebrate WDSD!

Heidi said...

What a special meeting for both of them! Love the pictures!

Little Miss E said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I am stealing both of these posts to post on the project blog. I'm not even going to attempt to write a more touching post!!

one_plustwins said...

Joyce and Sara.....that is just about the sweetest thing ever.

JennyH said...

That is a great post. It is SO sweet.