My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

a Special Delivery for Me

Back to my story...

Near Valentine's day, I received a package in the mail. Inside was an envelope with my name on it. I was so excited.

The card was a beautiful design. I really liked it.

Inside was a note from Kate Spain. I was beginning to make the connection. The plates we bought in Target, this note...

...and this beautiful roll of fabric. My mom was so excited because it is Verna. Kate designed Verna, just like she designed the plates I bought...

I wondered if they matched. So I put them together and look at this!!! I had so much fun with the fabric squares, Moda calls them a charm pack, that my mom made a video of me. She posted it on her creative blog.
.
Then something really amazing happened. Kate Spain wrote a blog post about ME. She directed her readers to come watch my video. That first day it was watched 247 times and we received lots of really nice comments. You can watch the video and read the comments here.
.
Then my mom received an email from a woman who read my story and also read about my posts related to the "r" word. She was so moved by it, she posted on her blog the button to end the "r" word campaign. My mom was really touched by this because she says that is how we are going to break down the hatred, by opening peoples eyes that do not have a family member with Down syndrome. She believes our story can touch lots of people beyond just fabric and quilting. And that's the day we started really talking about opening our own store...

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

I LOVE following your story. This is fabulous! I have tears just thinking about all the lives that you continue to touch in such a positive way.

Beth said...

Sarah, this is so exciting!

Leah said...

This has been a great story to follow Sarah! I've been really busy lately, and gotten behind on my blog reading (and writing!) I love seeing what you're up to these days. I'm so glad you've found something to enjoy with your mom. Sharing a hobby with someone you love is a lot of fun!

starrlife said...

Sarah- you are the bees knees! That is a very touching and wonderful story- thanks for sharing it!

JennyH said...

I checked this out the other day when you directed us to your mom's blog.

Very neat!!

Melissa said...

Sarah, You just keep inspiring me over and over. We are adopting a little with Down syndrome and I love reading your blog, especially when people tell me what Liza WON'T be able to do, because I come here and see everything that you do and the lives you touch. I know Liza will be able to do anything she sets her heart to. Thanks Sarah and blessings to you and your family! :)