My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sobriety and Prayer

This is Joyce. After yesterday's post, I thought I better give a little more information. I would hate for anyone to think I was a beer guzzling driver being pulled over for weaving in and out of traffic:) To answer one person's question, yes St. Patrick's day is HUGE in Cleveland. We have one of the best parades in the country, I am told. I've been to it a few times in the past. I tried to take Sarah this year, but she just did not want to go.

The weather was perfect yesterday so they claim 400,000 attendees descended on downtown Cleveland. Surely a good time was had by all. And a good time for some definitely includes the alcohol. So hence the idea of the check point? Hmmm maybe not...

This checkpoint was in Strongsville (a good forty five minutes from where we live, but Matt has soccer practice there on Wednesday nights). Now true it was St. Patrick's day, and the green beer does run a plenty around town, but I was a little suspicious of the timing. You see just two day's before, President Obama visited Strongsville, Ohio to talk about his healthcare package. The news reported that evening about what a Presidential visit costs the local police department in overtime. Coincidence of trying to nab a few drinkers??? Hmmm...
.
Anyway, every fourth car gets pulled in and yes I was a fourth car. I had nothing to drink all day, so it was not a worry for me, but I'm guessing there were more than a few nervous souls. I do very much appreciate the concept of sobriety check points. Helps to keep us all safe. They also were handing out a flyer informing drivers on April 1st, a no cell phone use law takes effect in the adjacent community. I personally think that's a good idea too.
.
Moving on, here is what I really wanted to talk about today...Our little buddy Parker. He is having a really bad day. I've mentioned a few times before that for so many years I felt so alone in our journey with Sarah, as her needs were so health related and often in an emergency crisis mode which so few parents can truly understand. One of the first blogs that I came across was Praying for Parker. Tammy often wrote posts that I swore I had written sixteen, seventeen years earlier. I could so relate. I also understood her fear. Today she writes about that fear as her husband and Parker's nurse rush him to the hospital to try to stabilize his breathing. He will likely be airlifted to Children's once he can be. That part, I truly can't imagine. Fortunately, we live so close to the Cleveland Clinic that I have never had to experience emergency air travel, just thinking about though makes my stomach do flip flops. So please say a word for Parker and his family tonight.

3 comments:

To Love Endlessly said...

praying, praying, praying!!!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Thank you.

It is a great shame.

It is probably as well that Sarah didn't come.

You've had lots of fun St Paddy's day parades in the past.

Lacey said...

I do think checkpoints are a good idea if the holiday is big there. But only pulling over every 4th car might let a lot of drunks drive right by!