My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Comfort of an Afghan

by Joyce...I don't sleep much. Never did. Which is probably why once my head hits the pillow, I am out. This morning was no exception. I went upstairs about 2:30. It was a perfect night for sleeping. John had the window open a bit, so it was a little chilly in our room. I love it that way, so I can get all snugly in our extra fluffy down comforters. I immediately fell asleep, and by 4:25 I'm sure I was in a beautiful peaceful zone. So when my cell phone sitting on the night stand rang at 4:27 a.m. I was barely alert.

I half opened one eye and saw Buckeye Alert System and immediately thought the alarm was going off at the condo again. There is one window that shakes when it is windy and often triggers the motion detector on that window. So I answered it while closing my eyes shut again. " This is the Ohio State University. There has been a shooting on campus." My body immediately jerked awake. My stomach lurched into my chest while TJ's image flashed before my eyes. "No God, please" I wanted to cry out, but nothing would come out of my mouth. I was shaking. The message went on...

"The suspect is in custody. NO students have been harmed. We are asking all students and staff to avoid the area of McCraken Hall." I wanted to throw the phone across the room. What a terrible thing to do to parents at 4:30 in the morning, especially when no students have been involved. Then again, with the media reporting on these stories within seconds, I appreciated the call so when I did hear about it on the news in the morning, I did not need to go into parental panic mode. I put the phone back in it's place, rolled over and went back to sleep.

No sooner had I gotten back into a peaceful slumber mode, when I hear a blood curdling scream come out of Sarah's bedroom. I jumped up, flung open her door and see her sitting up in bed grabbing at her trach site. I hear a very strange sound coming from her, so I instantly grabbed the trash can next to her bed thinking she was about to be sick. Then she takes a deep breath. "Sarah what's wrong?" "I stopped breathing mom." I just stood there. I didn't know what to think.

If you have been following our story for a while, you might remember that Sarah has stopped breathing before, three times that I have needed to perform rescue breathing until the paramedics arrived. The last time was February 2008, just days before TJ was struck by the semi on I-71. Odd timing again, I thought to myself. There is no way that Sarah heard my cell phone ring an hour earlier. Even so, TJ was never in any danger this time. His apartment isn't even close to the location of the shooting. Still, it gave me that goosebump type of uneasy feeling.

"Sarah, I think you better sit up for awhile. Why don't you come over and sit in your chair." "I'm cold mom." I had a perfect solution. So I went downstairs to get the T21 traveling afghan. So this morning, it became Sarah's comfort blanket. She seemed to be a bit unsettled about this breathing thing. I'm not sure what to make of it. She had a sleep apnea test last year and it was negative, as in no apnea. She seems fine, her color is good. No labored breathing.

So after sitting up for twenty minutes or so, I let her go back to bed...

... but she insisted on keeping the afghan with her. I few hours later, when she got up at her usual time to get ready for work, she was fine. After she left, I sat in her chair with the afghan around my shoulders and began to read a new book I received last week...

...the first chapter begins "Lord, remind us today that we are not traveling alone on this life journey." After the strange turn of events in the middle of the night, I was glad to be reminded of that. To read more of my day click HERE.
.
As an addendum: The shooting this morning was at the hand of a disgruntled employee. He took the life of a 48 year old father before taking his own. Please keep their families in your prayers.

7 comments:

Karen said...

That gave me the chills, too. I hope everyone is STILL alright. I thought of you guys when I heard about the shooting.

The VW's said...

I saw this on the news and thought of you! Glad your son is fine. What a scary call to get!

Hope Sarah is doing well today! Love, Hugs and Prayers!!!

Tiffany said...

Oh Joyce. This made me cry. The phone call...Sarah...the afghan. Thinking of you. You are both so beautiful to me.

Rochelle said...

WOW what a night! So thankful TJ is ok and Sarah too. Will definitely pray for the families left behind in this tragedy.

Kristen said...

I'm so glad TJ is safe! What a terrible event.

Mama Mason-Mann said...

How scary! First to get the call and then to be woken up by Sarah making a strange noise and then telling you she stopped breathing! That's what I consider a scary mom day!!!! HOpe things are settled now and you can get some peaceful sleep!

Adelaide Dupont said...

We will.

Oh. So close.

Very relieved for TJ. Indeed all the students.

Hope you're enjoying Mysterious Ways.