My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Please have your mother write a note...

I don't usually steal Sarah's blog (as in my daughter, not to be confused with the subject of this post) for political issues, but I know that we have certain followers...and as an older woman, I just feel the need to share some advice. You see, today my son came home from school and told me I had to write a note to his French teacher. Why you ask? Because he was caught cheating. Apparently he saw the idea on television last evening.

So would the owner of this hand please have your mother write a note tonight and send it in to school tomorrow. Please be sure to let the teacher know what privileges have been taken away while you THINK about what you have done and also please outline what you have LEARNED from your actions.

And while you're working on this note, would you also clarify for me your specific position on some important words, such as "retard," and "retarded." Just so I am following along, would you define a "retard summit" as a fun place to go? Is that a vacation spot where I might find you and Trig relaxing by the pool? A non-partisan destination? If so, my Sarah and I would like to join you.

Might I suggest, when those words are spewed in the manner of disgust, it really doesn't matter which party the lips have chosen to register at their local board of elections. I understand you are in a tough place right now. But at the end of the day, I'd like to think that your son is more important than any political agenda. Take some time, step back, think about who you're cheering for. You have been given a platform most of us envy. Please I ask, use it wisely. The world's eyes are on you, and I believe you have been given a greater calling. We all have but one chance at this thing called life. Wrap yourself around it, observe it, read about the beauty of it here. Just please, don't waiver in your support of that extra chromosome.

11 comments:

Molly said...

I just wrote a post about it too. The bottom line is I don't care if my best friend or worst enemy uses the r word. It is my job to speak up. I don't care if you are Brad freaking Pitt. If you use that word in my presence, I'm saying something.

I don't care who you are. I don't care how much money you've got. Don't use that word.

The bottom line is that right now she is operating under a double standard. That's not OK. Her son deserves respect and his mother needs to fight to ensure he gets it.

Tsquared417 said...

Did she really say that?? I missed that. Geez. I think it's especially hard, at least for me, when it's a friend that says it. I waiver b/c I don't want to make them feel bad...however...they shouldn't say that!

Talley Images said...

I must have missed something.... is there an article or something?

I saw this one... which is why Im confused...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100203/cm_huffpost/448209_201002031801

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

well said, joyce :)

ABandCsMom said...

Okay. So, I've been sick for a couple of days. I think I missed something. This blows my mind!

Brandie said...

count me in with the people who missed something :)

Chrystal said...

Thank you, Joyce. This is well-written and informative. Malea and I appreciate your advocacy.

Ellen said...

excellent post.

JRS said...

Oh Joyce,
I nearly broke my computer this morning as I hammered out my own angry post. So angry. So very very angry. Going to hug Sophie now.
---Jen

Cammie Heflin said...

What an awesome post! I saw the news clip about her "cheating" this morning and laughed. She didn't even do it sneakily! (I know that's probably not even a word!)

Runningmama said...

Thank you Joyce for speaking for those of us who cannot find the right words at the moment...and for fighting for our precious kiddos. I am new to "the club" and appreciate reading the opinion of a long-standing member of the T21 club.