My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Curse you %SpO2

I'm back at the Cleveland Clinic ~ day three.

I am feeling so much better. My temperature is normal at 97.8. My weight is down to 108, but that is a good thing, right?!!! My blood pressure is perfect.

And now for the pulse ox test...

...I'm holding my finger really still to get a good reading...

What the @*">%&!^!!! 90....90....90 I am screaming....can you hear me? It has to be better than that. "Please try again," I ask the nurse. Same @*">%&!^!!! number.

I sure hope Dr. Norr doesn't make me go to the big hospital downtown. "Sarah, if I didn't know you so well, I would be worried," he said as he walked in. "Dr. Norr I feel so much better," I replied. "And you look so much better. Now let's take a listen." The report: I still sound junky. Junk in the lungs. Not good.
.
So I got two more shots. One of Rocephin and one of SoluMedrol. Now my mom wants me to tell you why I am getting all these shots. Just so you understand, I guess. I refuse to take medicine in my mouth. I always have. Ever since they tried to get me to take those really nasty tasting steriods when I was a baby. I spit it right back at them. Then they tried to hide it in my apple sauce. But I knew it was there. Then they tried a powder. They very carefully pried open a goldfish, my favorite snack, and hide it inside. But I knew it was there. So from then on, it has been shots or IVs for me.
.
Oh speaking of my mom...
.
.
.
.
.
.She is not going to be happy I put this on here...
.
.
.
.
.
.But all's fair in love and photography. Right?
.
.
.
.
.

This is my mom at the doctors office today. She was suppose to be there for me, but the nurse had to get her a wash cloth because she was complaining about it being hot and something about a flash. But I didn't see anything flashing. She was fine. She and nurse Lori were laughing about it. Something about getting old. Whatever:)

19 comments:

Mama Mason-Mann said...

Sarah, you are so funny! I love to read what you write! I hope you feel better!!!!! Darn all these shots. Hang in there!

Rochelle said...

Oh Sarah I hope they get your pulse ox up over 95 really soon. Hope the shots are helping. Still laughing at the picture of your mom & her hot flash (priceless Joyce truly priceless). You girls are so funny.

stephanie said...

Sarah I absolutely adore you. I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

BTW, sorry about those stinkin' shots.

The VW's said...

You are definitely looking like you feel better Sarah! And, you obviously still have your sense of humor! So, who really cares about those SpO2 readings anyway?!

Hope you continue to feel better! No more doctor visits for a while! You better stay healthy so that you can take care of your Mom! :)

Adelaide Dupont said...

Sarah:

Love the black T-shirt you're wearing with the embroidery.

This doctor knows you VERY well indeed!

Mel said...

Sarah, you always make me laugh. And your poor mum, being outed over the internet!

Kristen said...

Sarah, you crack me up!!

Kristen said...

Mike wanted to know what I was laughing about, so I read this post and showed him the pictures...and he was laughing so hard too! You are hilarious!

Mommyto2 said...

Hope you feel better soon and hope your mom gets over those flashes! Maybe she is the one that needed the shot. My Sarah has been to the doc 2 times this week and ER once. She has gotten 2 shots and 3 blood draws and 1 IV. We go back tomorrow. The 2 Sarah's need to behave!!

Sumithra said...

Sarah, you are such a brave girl. Here you are taking shots for the past three days and I have my little son refusing to even allow me to measure his spo2 levels. Could you advice him to be more brave like you?

Joyce,

Seriously, I just hate this spo2 %. It is one of the biggest fears of my life. Every time my son's spo2 % is measured, my heart rate would drastically increase until I saw the figure. I never knew a number could frighten me so much. I just relish the time I was ignorant about all this.

I hope Sarah's oxygen level picks up soon.

Shipley Family said...

Oh we hate the pulse ox reader too! UGH! We feel your pain Sarah & Joyce.

Heather said...

You are looking much better Sarah... keep doing all the things you need to do and you'll be 100% before you know it.



And Joyce the picture was killing me!!

Carol N. said...

Oh Sarah, I love you and your mom! You guys crack me up so much (even when I'm tired from a day of chasing Aidan).

Hope you're better soon!

Beverly said...

oh Sarah, I hope you are feeling better and that you Mom get some good rest.

Karen said...

Sarah, I hope those shots get you all fixed up soon so that you don't have to go back to the doctor's for a long time.

I'm glad to see that you're feeling well enough to have that sense of humor back.

Tsquared417 said...

Oh Sarah!! Get better girl. I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor. And go eat too!!!

ABandCsMom said...

Sarah, you made me laugh out loud! You're so funny. I'm glad you are doing better. Hopefully by Monday the pulse ox will be right up there where it should be.

Joyce, so sorry to hear about those hot flashes. It sure was funny reading Sarah's take on it!! I've considered going the shots route with Miss Carly. It's so hard to get med's down her. Although, this time around she is cooperating nicely.

Hoping Sarah is back to her good ole self soon. And, hoping your hot flashes ease up a bit.

Carrie said...

Sarah, you are too funny! I hope you get feeling better soon!

JennyH said...

Hope you are doing much better by now. Shots are no fun!

You are so funny... a great picture of your mom!