My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finally!!! We have Urine...

...I had a rough night. So this morning my mom comes into my room and says, "Sarah, get up. We are going to see Dr. Norr." I started to tell her I did not want to but she got mean and told me, "Yes, we are going." "But mom, I am not sick." Then she made me get my coat on.

When I got to the doctor I told him I was fine. But he said to me, "Sarah, your pulse ox is 87, you have a fever of 102 and look how your trach site is retracting when you breath." Then my mom had to go tell him I haven't gone to the bathroom in the last 18 hours.

So first he gives me a breathing treatment. I don't know why. My mom was giving them to me all night long.

Then he sent me down for a chest x-ray. Yep, same old lungs. Left side is always fuzzy but today the right side decided to go cloudy too. Then there are two spots he doesn't think were there before. No big deal.

Or so I thought. Next thing you know, I am on the table screaming my head off as they shove this needle in my hand. Oh great. Just great.

Here is what I thought about that. Oh I forgot to mention they already stuck a needle in my booty. Now my hip hurts like crazy and I probably won't be able to walk.

And then the same nurse shows up with another needle. I thought I was going to scream again, but she told me she could put it in the bag of saline. Whew!!!

Just when I was about to hate her, she showed up with a DVD player and The Incredibles. That made me happy.

I sat there for an hour while they ran two bags of saline in. Then Dr. Norr came in and asked me if I had to pee. "Nope," I told him. "What?" Not another bag. Oh my gosh, I had to sit for a third bag. Then he came in again and asked me the same question. This time I said, "Yes!!!" and ran for the bathroom. When I came back, he said I could go home now. "If all they wanted was urine, why didn't they just tell me that in the beginning?"

21 comments:

To Love Endlessly said...

haha, love that last line! Sorry you were poked and prodded today Sarah. That is NO fun at all, but mom knows best, at least most of the time. ;-)

~ Teresa ~ said...

I hope that you feel better soon Sarah....

Mel said...

Sarah, you are too funny! I am sorry you had to have all those needles and hope you feel better soon. I had to get my little girl to give a urine sample today, and she told me "Mum, my butt is too big to wee in that pot". Too funny :)

Jennifer said...

I hope you feel better soon, Sarah!

Amy said...

Sarah,
I am so sorry you aren't feeling well! Praying you are better soon. Your picture on the header is gorgeous!!! You are truly a beautiful young lady!

Rochelle said...

Sarah,

You crack me up. I am still laughing at your last line. Sorry you had to go to the doctor and get a few pokes but, hopefully it will keep you away from the hospital and on the road to being well again.
Praying for you.

Beverly said...

i hope you are feeling better Sarah and happy you are home

Adelaide Dupont said...

Now not going to the bathroom/toilet for 18 hours would be embarrassing!

Glad you were able to watch The Incredibles.

Kristen said...

Sarah, you sure can tell of a yucky doctor appointment with little twists of humor. You made me giggle in a few spots. I'm glad you're home and hopefully feeling much better.

Tsquared417 said...

Sarah!!! I'm glad you listened to your Mom and went to the Dr...sounded like you needed to! I hope you are feeling better soon...I'm glad to see your sense of humor is feeling tip top! ;) Love the new picture on your header too...oh and The Incredibles is my favorite!! (The name of my blog ring a bell?? ;) )

Kristen's mom said...

So glad you made it to the doctor. You should start feeling better soon. The doctor's office is much better than the ER.

Karen said...

Sarah, I just had to laugh, I'm sorry. I could so see my son in everything that you said and did at the doctor's. I'm glad you're alright and didn't have to be admitted to the hospital.

my family said...

I hate you had to go through all of that, and it is sad to see you so upset but not you will be on the mend in no time.

Hope your are feeling better really soon Sarah!

Scarehaircare said...

Oh, Sarah, you poor thing! I hope you feel better soon. menat

starrlife said...

I'm with you Sarah- not fond of the needles but sometimes they are a necessary evil! Hope you are feeling all better today!

Kimy said...

Oh my goodness- I'm so sorry that you are not feeling well! I don't blame you about the needles, they are NO fun! It was a good idea that your mom took you to the doctor- it sounds like you really needed to go. Moms know best :-)

The VW's said...

Poor Sarah! What a rough day! Sorry you had to go through all of that! Hope you start feeling better soon! Sounds like you have an awesome doctor though! Love and Hugs!!!

JennyH said...

Oh Sarah, you do not look happy! I wouldn't have been either though!

Get better soon!

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry you had to get poked. I hate needles too. A lot. Good for you listening to your mom and going to the doctor when you needed to. I am a grown-up mom of 3 boys, but I still listen to my mom too.

Mama Mason-Mann said...

YOu're very funny Sarah. I hope you feel better soon and I"m sorry that you're sick!!! Get well soon.

Angi said...

Sarah, I have been reading your blog for awhile but I don't usually post...you are a very funny, beautiful girl!!! You made me laugh today! I am sorry you don't feel well...I am glad you found a bit of humor in it!! That is how we must get through the tough times in our lives!!