My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

1 Million Pillowcase Challenge

a message from Joyce: If you have been following along for the past few days, you have observed Sarah learning to sew. This has been a dream of mine from the day she was born. Yes, this room that we have been working in is actually in our house. Up until recently, Sarah has not had much interest in joining me as I retreat into my "woman cave" each evening. Then all of a sudden, she took notice of some amazing fabrics I was receiving. I think she got the creative fever too.

So I set out to find something I could start her on that would be easy and with quick completion so she would have instant satisfaction. Pillowcases came to mind. Oh the power of this Internet. I searched pillowcases and up came this amazing project, the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.

When Sarah came home that day, I showed her the website and started to read her the description on this promotional card...

As soon as I got to the word cancer, Sarah's face lite up, she became excited and immediately said "Kristen. I will make a pillowcase for Kristen." I just have to say it is moments like this, that I want to gather all the naysayers of Ds into a room and let them chat with Sarah. Let them see, just how alike she is.

So today, there is a post on Kristen's blog that will have Sarah absolutely beaming when she sees it. Please go take a look and be sure to leave Kristen some love. She is one very brave gal.

21 comments:

sturpin said...

all I can say is WOW!
Wow, Joyce, for teaching Sarah to sew. Wow, Sarah, for your generosity.

and how cool to watch the whole thing unwrap on your blog and see the finished picture on Kristen's blog.

Rochelle said...

Awesome job Sarah! What a great idea and it looks so cute. I love that Kristen received it and is enjoying it right now!
You girls are inspiring!

Michelle said...

great job on the pillowcases Sarah! what a wonderful gift to give to Kristen!

ABandCsMom said...

GREAT job Sarah! What a wonderful gift for Kristen.

Lianna said...

Oh my heart! I can't even begin to express my joy over this and over Sarah's compassionate. What a wonderful project!

Tsquared417 said...

Sarah and Joyce, I love you!!! I'm going to check out Kristen's blog and the project blog.

The VW's said...

This post makes me very happy! Thanks Sarah, for the inspiration and for having such a caring heart! HUGS!!!

Adelaide Dupont said...

Go American Patchworking and Quilting for knowing that quilting and patchworking changes lives.

Love the picture of Sarah in the postcard.

Cammie Heflin said...

That is so wonderful! Addy has never slept with a pillow and I've decided it's time to start, I forget that she is 3!

To Love Endlessly said...

what a wonderful challenge! Sarah I think it's great that you are taking up sewing with your mom. I have high hopes for Marissa to want to knit with me, so you've given me hope that she'll share my love.

I still can't believe that sewing room is IN your HOUSE! How lucky you are!! :-)

Angi said...

Sarah YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! I think you did a wonderful job on the Princess pillowcases...Kristen must be so very pleased!! You are such an inspiration and so very motivated:~)

Suzie said...

Sarah you are amazing!

Jennifer Keltner said...

Sarah, I was thrilled to read your blog post about the pillowcase you made for your friend Kristen. You did a beautiful job and I can see from your friends smile just how pleased she was to receive it. Thank you for participating in our 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge. Jennifer Keltner, Executive Editor, American Patchwork & Quilting (jennifer@meredith.com)

Tina said...

What a great project Sarah has taken on, and what a wonderful gift for kristin. Sarah if it was fun making you should really think of carrying on with the sewing, I think you'd be great at it.
Joyce, you and Sarah are such an inspiration to the rest of us. Thanks

Karen said...

Sarah, you did a wonderful job and have inspired me to get in on the pillowcase action, too. I'm so proud of your new skills, and even more so of your giving heart. I love that you think of others so much.

Tracey said...

What an awesome thing~ Great job!

Jackie said...

I've been following along on the project (just from work over my lunch hour where I can't comment due to firewalls) I was so excited from the moment you went fabric shopping and can't wait to hop over to Kristen's blog to see the finished project. Well done Sarah, I've been quilting for a few years now and I won't go near ruffles!!!

The Munck Family said...

GREAT JOB SARAH!!!

What a wonderful project! Your sewing room is amazing, my daughter Rebekah would love to sew with you. So great your mom is teaching you, I think you do wonderful on your projects in the future!
Laura

JennyH said...

Wow- I thought the room was a store somewhere. You have an awesome sewing room!!

Sarah did great on the pillowcase and it looks like Kristen loved it!!

amy said...

this is beautiful and amazing. i already have such respect for you and your family, but even more so reading (between the lines) that you never pushed sarah to learn to sew. you waited til she was ready. joyce, you and sarah are role models in so many ways, big and small, more than you'll ever know. thank you from sophie and me.

lovetostitch said...

Not only a gift of a pillowcase, but truly a gift of real love - an awesome story of generosity!
God bless!!