My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reunited...with a VERY special Man

Just the other day my mom told you about the doctor that saved my life when I was a baby. You can read about it HERE.

Then you might remember my post a while back about the IviG infusions that I was getting when I was really sick. Dr. Norr came up with that idea.

Here are a few pictures from that post.

Dr. Norr and I were best buds. I was in his office all the time. But then Dr. Norr retired from Kaiser in 2005. The last time I saw him I gave him a hug because my mom always told me I would not be here if it were not for Dr. Norr. I did not think I would ever see him again.
.
But wait...
.
this morning when I got up my mom said she had a surprise for me. She said we were going to the doctor. "But mom, I'm not sick." I told her. "I know Sarah, this is just a check-up with Dr. Norr." "Dr. Norr??!!!" I said...

"Hello Sarah. Look at you. You are all grown up now." Dr. Norr was soooooo HAPPY to see me. He introduced me to all the people who work with him and told them I was one of his favorite patients. My mom told the head nurse about the first night that Dr. Norr saved my life. I'm so happy we are back together.
.
A message from Joyce: The power of positive thinking. It is extraordinary. A while back, I wrote about how we were in a sticky situation with our medical insurance. As small business owners, it is one of our greatest challenges. For quite some time we had been carrying our own insurance with Kaiser until our monthly premiums had sky rocketed to $2900 a month. We just could not continue at that rate, but with a child who has spent a great deal of her life in the hospital, being without insurance is not an option either. So I took a full time job that had the same Kaiser benefits we had been paying for on our own. That way we would not have to change docs as Kaiser is a self contained HMO system.
.
Sadly last winter it became pretty clear during Sarah's hospitalizations with pneumonia, that my working full time was just not going to work out. When I left that job, I signed up for COBRA benefits. The only problem is COBRA only lasts for a short period of time. So for the past few months I have been doing extensive research on our health care options. When the best case scenario was identified, it meant leaving the Kaiser plan. I was nervous. Very nervous. It felt like a huge risk taking Sarah out of the system she had been on her whole life. All of her records were there and so many people knew her and all the quirkiness that goes along with her health care issues. But we had no choice, so I made up my mind that I was just going to have to make the best of it.
.
Then one day at a clothing store during the holidays, I ran into the pediatrician we had switched to when Dr. Norr retired. She too had made a switch a few years later to dermatology so she was no longer our doc, but she of course remembered Sarah. We got to talking and I shared with her that I was concerned about Sarah's future care because we would be leaving the Kaiser system on December 31st.
.
She tilted her head, got a huge smile on her face and told me she had just heard from Dr. Norr and he was going back into pediatrics at the Cleveland Clinic. I froze in my shoes. It was truly one of those moments in life, when a sensation of complete calm takes over your body. One of those moments when it becomes crystal clear that life is not By Chance, it is definitely By Design. And today's appointment, just proves it.

7 comments:

Carol N. said...

I hear you about that calm feeling. I felt that way about Aidan's first pediatrician - he was amazing for many reasons, but first and foremost was that he loved and truly cared about Aidan. Since we've moved across the country, I have yet to find a Doctor of that standard.

Mel said...

What a great story. I just love a happy ending :)

RK said...

I love this kind of *by design* stories. He looks like he's very happy about the reunion, and to have doctor really happy to have you (or me) as a patient?!? That's priceless!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

awesome! so glad it seems to be working out w/ the new insurance and wonderful that you can see dr. norr again!!! :)

Heidi said...

Wow - that is amazing!! Definitely by design and not chance!

JRS said...

very, very cool.
---Jen

Beth said...

Love that when it falls into place.