My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Closer to the Finish Line

...Mom are you listening?

Yes Sarah, you got a blanket.

Mom, It has horses!!! And it is purple.

It's purple?

Yes mom.

How did you open it?

With a pair of scissors.

SCISSORS?

Yes mom. I was careful.

And there is a note from Jaxson.

Who?

JAXSON, Mom. You know, from the blog. Jaxson.

Who's Jaxson? (I'm egging her on now)

Mom, Come on. You know. Jaxson. The one with the thing in his nose. Like me.

What thing in his nose?

(huge sigh heard from Sarah) You know. Hospital. Tube in the nose.

Oh you mean oxygen.

Yes mom, oxygen. OK, got to go now.

Ok Sarah. I'll be home soon.

MOM

What Sarah?

I love you.

I love you too.


Once we hung up, I just sat back in my chair. I couldn't seem to move. At first I wasn't sure what I was feeling. Then I quickly decided whatever it was, it felt euphoric. I just had a real, complete, understandable conversation with my daughter. On our cell phones. Girl to girl. Woman to woman. Mother to daughter. Initiated by her.

All because she found a package on the porch. With her name on it. She carried it inside, carefully sliced down the tape with a pair of scissors, looked at what was inside and felt excited. So excited, that she wanted to call me. And so she did. Successfully.

I've heard the journey we are on with our children who received an overdose of the 21st chromosome described as a long distance run. We are told that we will one day get to the finish line, but our game plan is a marathon versus a sprint. I would agree with that. And of late, I can tell you I feel a lot closer to the finish line. It is at least within sight.

18 comments:

Lacey said...

I love Sarah, and I just wished I could have heard that phone conversation, because I knew that she would just freak out!

Baby Copty said...

That sure is a beautiful blanket! Way to go Sarah! You did a great job!

The Hortons...one day at a time. said...

I LOVE that!! She is an AMAZING young women, and you are an amazing mom!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting that. Sometimes I get caught up in the things my Sarah struggles with and those she can not do that the finish line is no where in sight. I can look at your Sarah and see a bright future for mine. Thank you for letting me see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Robyn(mommyto2)
familylovenotes.blogspot.com

Anderson Family said...

That is so awesome that she is mastering the phone. Love her purple horses blankie - Lacey does such an awesome job!

Mel said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this. Thanks for cheering on the rest of us who are further back in the race :)

Karen said...

I so look up to you and Sarah as role models in this marathon. Thank you for the honesty that you share. It's encouraging to me.

Sarah, you go, girl! You've made your mom proud.

ABandCsMom said...

Wow!!! So wonderful to read this post. How proud you, as a mother, must have felt after that conversation. Way to go Sarah! Your blanket is very pretty.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Wow.

Great to have that talk.

my family said...

oh what a wonderful feeling it must have been to have that conversation

Scarehaircare said...

Marathon? sometimes I would compare it to an ultramarathon! I am feeling your joy right now. These milestones that others take for granted, we Holland moms cheer and turn cartwheels over. Congrats!

Heather said...

Beautiful Joyce.The blanket.Your words.Your Sarah.Her journey.You both inspire us all and we love you both for it.

Karyn said...

Thank you so much for sharing that!! Joyce, I am always drawn to the inspiring words you write.

starrlife said...

That was wonderful. It's funny how these moments accumulate over time and then just bop us right in the face isn't it? Thanks for sharing. Great job Sarah! great job Joyce!

Rochelle said...

That is so great! Yeah Sarah! Thanks for sharing all your awesome hopefilled moments with us.

The VW's said...

This post makes me so happy! Sarah, you are such an inspiration!

Kimy said...

How exciting Joyce!! It always cheers me up to read about Sarah and her accomplishments! She is an amazing young lady.

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

So awesome!!!! love the blanket, too :)