My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stranded in an Ice Storm

Last night I had music therapy with Bonnie. We have to drive for about forty five minutes to get there. It was raining when I went in. While we were singing in the basement of the church we meet in, it started to sleet. Everything was covered in ice when we came out.

Do you see the lights at the bottom of the hill? That is a firetruck blocking the hill we need to get up to get to the freeway to get home. My mom and I sat in a parking lot for about a half hour. The truck was still there. So my mom said she had an idea.

We were sitting in this parking lot. So she backed the car up and drove to the front door.

She said, "Sarah go in and ask the lady at the front desk if they have a room we can sleep in tonight." So I did. She said "Yes," so my mom parked the car.

Wow it is pretty nice in here. Look at this really big Christmas tree. Oh and there is a warm fire. After we went to our room to drop our coats off, we went into CK's Steak House for dinner.

I started with a fancy glass of milk.

My mom said she would like a glass of wine since she wouldn't be driving anymore tonight. It was purple and it matched her shirt. How do you like this picture? I took it.

While we were waiting for our dinner I was showing my mom how I set the table at the nursing home when I am working.

Oh how cute. Look at the little flower butters.

I asked my mom if we could play tic-tac-toe while we were waiting. I won both games. We were having so much fun. There was violin music coming from the speakers in the restaurant so I was pretending I was playing a violin. That's when we really got to laughing. Even the two waitresses came over and we were all having a good time together. We were the only customers in there.

After dinner we went for a walk. I found this tree...

...and this HUGE gingerbread house. It is bigger than me.


Inside are two cute little bears having a tea party. I decided it was time to go back to the room. I think they might have my favorite channel on the TV.

I have my own big comfy bed. And sure enough my favorite channel...

...DISNEY!!!! My mom even watched it with me.

This morning I woke up bright and early because I have to get home to catch the bus for work. Do you notice anything familiar in this picture? Haahaa, I am wearing the same shirt I had on yesterday because we didn't have any pajamas with us.

Look at this. Today the hill is all clear. It doesn't even look that steep. But last night there were two cars in the ditch and one stuck in the middle of the hill and one that rolled back and hit the car in front of us. That's when my mom pulled into that parking lot with the red car and turned around. I think that was a good idea plus we had so much fun!!!

17 comments:

JennyH said...

That's awesome!! At least you didn't have to keep waiting in the ice storm. Glad the place you stayed was comfy with lots of neat things inside.

Bonnie said...

So glad you and your mom were safe Sarah! Looks like you had a GREAT time at the hotel... I'd like to see your violin imitation next week! ;-)

Tsquared417 said...

What a fun, spontaneous night!!

Michelle said...

Thank goodness for ice storms. Sounds like you had a GREAT night with your mom! Not so bad for being stranded, eh!? :) Glad you made it home safely!!!

Rochelle said...

Glad you were both safe. Oh what a fun night together!

Heidi said...

What a great way to wait out an ice storm! That hotel looks great and I'm glad you were able to get back safely the next day!

Mama Mason-Mann said...

What a fun adventure! Glad you're both safe and had a fun time!

starrlife said...

Sounds like a fun time! I think you forgot to invite me though!

Cammie Heflin said...

What a fun girls night! Glad you made it home safely!

my family said...

what a great way to make fun of a yucky situation....looks like a blast. I love your blog background, by the way.

datri said...

What a great way to make the best out of a situation! An unscheduled mini-vacation!

Kim Rees said...

Wow! I am jealous. You got to stay at the Quail Hollow Resort! Fancy place no doubt! You guys must have got all the bad weather on the east side because over here on the west side of Cleveland it was fine. Glad that you both are safe and that you obviously had a BLAST waiting out the storm.

Karen said...

How fun! Those are the best times, when they're unplanned and yet a good time. I'm glad you chose to get a room and be safe.

Becca said...

What a fun and unexpected night! Glad you didn't attempt to drive home. By the way, I LOVE your new blog header photo of you in the Christmas stocking--too cute!!

Lund7 said...

What a fun night you must have had! Now we are getting a big snow storm here today...schools are cancelled so my kids are excited!!!

jjpsmommy07 said...

What a cool story Sarah. I liked it.

Kristin said...

Smart mom. How fun!