My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Olympic Torch Carrier with Autism

A message from Joyce: I am continually amazed at this phenomenon called blogging. The connections and support truly can be outstanding. This past Friday I put out a request for a handout describing different coping strategies from family and friends when our children are born. It seems the Gingerbread Man is the part often referred to in blogs.

Just a short time after posting I had a response from a blogger that I did not recognize. She indicated she sent me an email. So I checked and sure enough, all the way from Prince Edward Island, Canada was the entire handout. Awesome, I now have a complete copy. I have posted it below for those wanting to read it too.

But more powerful than getting a copy of what I was looking for, is the story that accompanies her blog. Jypsy has an adult son with Autism...who just last week carried the OLYMPIC TORCH. A dream come true for him.

Please read the story about Alex HERE. I just love what is written at the end of this post:

Running For Autism

Not Against It

acceptance, inclusion, awareness

Up until a few weeks ago, I did know know as much as I could about Autism. Then a delightful and hard working woman was presented to our company. She is the first young adult that we have hired in our efforts to ease the hardship of transition at age 22 for those with developmental disabilities. So I have been trying to gather a greater understanding of Autism. Alex Bain and his mother have given me a much broader glimpse into the possibilities. I encourage you to read through their blog: Runman. It is truly inspirational.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Sometimes I think life with Tanner and autism is harder than Jax with DS. Its definitely inspiring.

Mommyto2 said...

Joyce praying for your family today. Praying all went well.

Robyn