My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Holiday Cheer from an Unlikely Source

Check this out. It was garbage day. I once reported that I like to bring in the empty cans.

Now what is that hanging from my garbage can? I look down the street and every house has the same thing hanging from their cans.

Upon closer inspection, it is an envelope hanging from a piece of white yarn that has been carefully placed around the wheel. Inside is a Christmas card.

It is from our trashman, Allen. Think about that. The man who picks up our garbage...our stinky, junky garbage...has taken the time to write Happy Holidays! That is so nice. He could be like Mr. Scrooge but instead he is wishing us Merry Christmas. I think I want to meet Allen. I want to wish him Happy New Year. That means I am going to have to get up really early though, because he comes around 7:15 AM.
.
Since we are on the subject of garbage, you have to go over to my bloggy friend Hannah's site. She has a cute story today too. We have a lot in common, like our big brothers are both home from college right now:)

5 comments:

Perplexing Situation said...

What a nice thing for the garbage man to do. Good eyes that you saw it so quickly too!

Adelaide Dupont said...

I would quite like to meet Allen too.

It's lovely he took time out of his day to write to you all.

Kele said...

That is one extra cool and really nice trash man... I hope you make it up early enough to meet him one day!!

Lacey said...

Wow, our garbage man doesn't even smile at us. You are lucky!!

Beth said...

Aha! I thought something fishy was going on--I've had so much traffic coming from your blog that I thought I'd better go see what you were up to Sarah! That's funny that you have a garbage post too!

Chris says that some of his friends at college wear Waste Management T-shirts instead of William and Mary T-shirts. I might have to get us all some!

I hope you get to meet Allen--or at least give him a card (or some of those cute holiday crafts/baking that you do so well!). Every year we put a little gift for our mailman in our box. I know it makes him happy. Maybe we will give a gift to our garbage man too!